Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misen Carbon Steel Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misen Carbon Steel Pans

Last week I received my 10” and 12” Misen carbon steel pans. I have been really curious to try them out ever since I got my carbon steel wok. These are well made. Once seasoned, they are beautiful! I used the smaller one yesterday for eggs, and it was almost non-stick the first time I used it. They are very well balanced, weight-wise in between stainless steel and cast iron. I think I am going to love these.
    Attached Files

I have a carbon steel flat-bottom wok that I love. Those look like they’ll last the rest of your life!

Comment

Seen the ads for them, good to see real life experiences.

Comment

I have never used a carbon steel pan. Just black iron, and clad. Is there an advantage, or something I need to be doing that I can't currently that these allow?

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Carbon steel also heats a bit more evenly than cast iron, I think. Also no worries about rust.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The best way I can describe it is that it’s like having a nice stainless steel pan that doesn’t stick.

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          ^ What he said.
          All the nonstick of a well seasoned CI and the weight a SS pan. My 10" Matfer lives on my stove because if I put it the cabinet, I'd just have to take it out again tomorrow.

I also have both of those pans and so far I love them.

Comment

Had an email, earlier today; apparently, they's a Misen sale...might wanna surf a bit, check it out...

I can break from what I'm currently doin, at some point, an find th URL, if'n yall come up wit bupkis...

Comment

Sexy!

Discover the versatility of Misen's Pre-Seasoned Carbon Steel Pan, designed for superior heat retention and durability for all your cooking needs.

shop by dec 14th for 20% off MERRYMISEN is the code.
            Last edited by SheilaAnn; December 12, 2020, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks fer th assist, Sister! Much appreciated!

Workin on findin a pic fer yer BF, see what he has to say lol!

I'll git back to ya, heehee!

I've seen their ads but haven't bought one yet. I use mostly cast iron but this year I've found the need for a carbon steel pan for certain cooking applications. I'll probably buy one now with their discount code. If they are as well made as well their knives I know I'll be happy.

UPDATE (Wow, 6 minutes from my post above - that sure took long, damn beer): OK, I bought the two pan set (10" and 12"). Normally $150, now $135. Enter the discount code and the price is $108.00 with free shipping.
            Last edited by 58limited; December 12, 2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Pans look nice but I swore off Misen after their knives kind of flopped. I’ve got their chefs knife and it was supposed to be a very hard alloy and super sharp for the money. Some metallurgy guy tested them and they failed to live up to what was advertised. Blades made in China with a very rough finish. Bottom line way over hyped but ok for the price.

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just when I hear Misen it gives me pause. Hopefully the pans work well and give you years of service.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                they had a bad batch shortly after the kickstarter launched, supposedly fixed quite a while ago.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea unfortunately I was in the kickstarter batch. I never went back to rectify, perhaps I should call them.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                These are sturdy, well made pans. They will be around for a long time.

I have a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan I love.

Looking at the Mises pan... is that a silicon handle? Plastic? Can it go in the oven?

I have a couple of their knives and while they aren't the best you can get they are very solid for the price. Probably great for most standard home cooks. I would assume most of their pans are the same.

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it's one of those silicon sleeves that can slide on and off.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto on the Bourgeat, awesome pan.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it is a silicone sleeve that can be removed. They are oven safe, yes.

Thunder77 I just received my Made-in carbon steel wok yesterday. This things a brute. It's in the oven on it's first seasoning as I write this. I'm going to re-season it a few more times today and try it out this later this week. Because of it's depth and volume I can see using this for many things other than stir frying. Can't wait to use it out on the Weber over a raging pile of lump.

I made a decision not to buy any more non-stick skillets. When my current ones wear out, I'm going to buy carbon steel to replace them.

Last edited by Bkhuna; December 13, 2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here