Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on a non stick fry pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to pile on with the cast iron. Would not want to cook without it.

Comment

I buy cheap and replace every few years.

Comment

I've got an old 10" stainless skillet, and I've found if I oil it, it is as non-stick as my Oxy 12" teflon coated pan. Same for the CI.

Comment

I am having good success with a Granitestone 12" skillet. Inexpensive and works great. I agree the key to non-stick is to not overheat them.

Comment

• chudzikb
            chudzikb commented
            Editing a comment
            I just got one of those for omelets. My old pan was done. My CI pan is too cumbersome for omelets. So far, call me impressed. However, I view them as disposable, as it was $20.

I buy cheap and replace every couple years. We have a glass electric cooktop so i don’t trust using my heavy cast iron cookware on it very often. I love my CI but I pretty much only use it on my camp chef stove outdoors.

Comment

I have 2 Greenpan ceramic non-stick pans, an 8" and one that is sort of like a Wok. Had them for years, they do not release chemicals and can be used at higher temps than "regular" non-stick T-Fal or teflon pans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXTDSMK...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a couple greenpan also. I’ve had them about 18 months. They are showing a little ware but still work good.

I have a smooth top glass electric stove so I can’t use my cast iron on it.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              +1. These pans are amazing, Don't be fooled by the negative reviews on amazon, take care of them they will take care of you.

I agree with CI, but do use non stick for certain foods. I find granitestone works great and no off gassing when heated.

Comment

I've got a set of Anolon Nouvelle Copper that I like pretty well. A quick google only showed the skillets being sold as a set of two . . .

But I have read, I think on ATK, about the carbon steel skillets. The fact that they are lightweight is a nice selling point if you want to get fancy and flip your eggs without a spatula and so forth. Although I imagine the heat retaining properties are quite different than the CI.

It might be interesting to see a topic about carbon steel and to see how many people actually have and use them. I was tempted a few months back when ATK had them on sale, but I have so much stuff already I took a pass. Maybe next time ?

Comment

I find pans made out of carbon steel much better than cast-iron and even as good as nonstick after proper seasoning. Plus you high heat cooking is a snap.
                Last edited by Antoin; September 13, 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1000% agree

I like the T-fal cheap nonstick pans. They do wear out but because they are not a huge investment it doesn’t hurt to replace them when needed.

Comment

CI, carbon steel, non-stick - I have them all and they all have their place.

Acidic sauces (tomato for example) or stir frys can remove the seasoning. It can be reseasoned, you've not destroyed your pan, but still, you've made more work.

CI is heavy. If you have a household grade induction or glass cooktop you better be careful. I never tried the CI on my cheapie cooktop. Carbon steel was no problem. I have a new Waring commercial portable induction cooktop that I'm putting through its paces. Next cook on it out on the lanai will be smashburgers in a CI pan.

Speaking of heavy, if you're prone to repetitive stress injury you really need to watch your cooking workflow and move heavy CI around with both hands.

For non-stick I've been using these for a little over a year. They claim you can use metal utensils and are dishwasher safe. Well, I'm only using non-metalic and washing by hand. Don't use high heat as others have said. I wipe them down with a very light coat of flaxseed oil before storing and place a thin piece of closed-cell packing foam to keep them from banging together.

The heat indication is a gimmick I think (I use a Thermoworks IR gun) but I'm liking them so far. We'll see how they're doing in 18 months.

Comment

Serious eats write-up on nonstick pans

He likes the cheap ones

Comment

I did pick up a cast iron pan by lodge a 10.5. it was preseasoned so I don't have to do anything else right? I am very intrigued by carbon steel pans.

Comment

• rickgregory
                        rickgregory commented
                        Editing a comment
                        it's lightly seasoned. Adding more would help, but mostly just cook with it. Don't soap it.

Cast iron vs carbon steel pans... CI trends to be thicker and heavier which makes it slower to react to heat changes. CS is thinner and thus reacts better. Consider your use for each but they're all I use now. VERY occasionally, a stainless steel pan.

Watch Dark waters movie, You will go Cast iron

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here