Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok use on glass top electric stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wok use on glass top electric stove

I'm thinking about getting a wok. Doing some searching I read (WOK SHOP) via their WOK 101 they are not made for the aforementioned. Any experience or thoughts? I know it would need to be flat bottom. I also looked at Amazon. I'm leaning to carbon steel and a minimum of 13". TIA

I have done it with a flat bottom CS Wok. It works but, at least on my stove, it struggled to get hot enough.

Comment

We have a ceramic top stove and I use a wok. I have no problem getting the wok hot, but it's the nature of a flat bottom wok to warp as the hot metal expands. I've had two different woks and the bottom of both warped making the bottom slightly rounded so that only part of the bottom touches the heating element. It still heats well, but it's irritating when the wok moves while cooking.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB. Similar experience here, but with a T-Fal sauté pan. The pan rolls around a bit now after using it on my highest heat large ceramic/electric burner. I’ll be looking at higher quality flat bottom stainless . I do have a Greenpan flat bottom semi-wok pan that has held up.

Same set up but ss wok, it can surely get hot enough to work. I've posted this earlier: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...conds-of-scare

Comment

I don’t see it working well. Plus, glass tops tend to warm you not to use cast iron or slide it on the glass. Using a wok and tossing food in it, you tend to slide it or move it, which could damage the top and certainly move it off the heat source.

Comment

Before we switched over to LP my wife used our ceramic top electric with no issues.

Comment

I have a little experience with this. We have two "glass" top induction stoves (we have two homes), and one semi-heavy non-stick flat bottom wok and a lighter carbon steel "flat-bottom" wok that is no longer flat bottomed (and that's pretty annoying, but the wok was also pretty cheap. When the bottom was still flat, it got plenty hot). The semi-heavy non-stick flat bottom wok is still flat, but I don't really like the non-stick coating.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              One issue with non-stick woks is that you tend to want high heat in the bottom of a wok for that style cooking, but non stick coatings are not supposed to be used above about 500F. For 20 years the only wok we had was a non-stick 14", and I would use it not knowing any better.

• RobertC
              RobertC commented
              Editing a comment
              This is exactly right, and the reason why I'm not really fond of it as a coating for a wok.

BTW, I use cast iron on my induction stove, and for 20 years before that we had a conventional electric with a smooth top. Those surfaces are pretty tough.

14” carbon steel not 13, it matters. I just cooked a four course (8 batch) meal for 9 on a friends glass lectric dothingy. Everything worked out just as if I were at home.

Comment

Buy one of those portable butane burners that are sold in just about every Asian market.
              Having the ability to precisely control the flame is very important in Wok cooking and electric burners just don't cut it.

Amazon sells every configuration you could ever need. I've been using Iwatani burners for close to 40 years.

Comment

I use a flat bottomed wok on a glass top stove all the time. I probably don't have the best wok skills but the family likes what comes out. In my case the big burner is a 3-ring burner, the bottom of the wok covers the inner most only, and when I use it I turn on the entire thing so there's extra heat coming up towards the sides, like if there was a flame coming around it.

Comment

Use your Weber Kettle for a wok. It works great. Plenty of heat and it keeps the messy process outside.

Or if you really want to use that stove top, buy the Lodge Wok. It has a flat bottom designed for flat stove tops. These work well. I have all of them. They also work great for frying on the stove top. The splattering oil is caught by the shape of the wok and it runs back down in the the oil. I love these. Aaaaand you can also use this on your gasser or Kettle too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	L14W.png
Views:	149
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	1385320

Comment

• RichieB
                    RichieB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Spinaker. I didn't think Lodge. Based on my experience with their products I don't believe that you can go wrong. It's at Amazon for $50, Lodge direct $70 plus shipping. It's in the wish list and I'm leaning to it.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is a great item. You will be happy with it. And being that it is cast iron, it will help retain the heat while frying.

• acorgihouse
                    acorgihouse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also have the cast iron flat bottomed, and use it both on my "glass top" induction stove, and on my grill. I have an enameled cast iron paella pan that works well on both, too. BTW, I always check Etsy for interesting pans and pots, it's another decent source.

I too was going to suggest a flat-bottomed cast iron wok. I have 2 large ones and 2 small ones. That said, I can't wait to stop using the large ones. I want to be able to pick up and toss the food around.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, that is one drawback for sure.

• RichieB
                    RichieB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, that was an afterthoughts. The Lodges weight is close to 13#. No handle to flip. I'm back to the Wok Shop for now.

Anyone who has, do you know how much it weights. There is nothing I can find on their website. Sceen shot did not capture, it's the 14".

Name:	Screenshot_20230301-153411_Chrome.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1385396

Comment

Name:	20F9A15A-91C2-441B-97A6-66E3C9FD623A.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1385420 3.94 lbs.

Comment

Mine weighs 3lbs 13 oz without the lid or inserts, RichieB .

ETA: we were posting at about the same time, FireMan . I'm in good company!

K.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here