Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wok Shop not responding to emails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wok Shop not responding to emails

My wife ordered a wok from The Wok Shop - https://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/reworkwok.html - and they aren't responding to our emails. Has anyone else experienced problems with them?

FireMan to the rescue

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      How long has it been since your 1st email?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      4 days for me longer than a week for her. I'll find out how much longer tonight.

I called them to inquire about my new wok that took a little while to get. It seems like a family operation and English is definitely not the first language. However they told me they were slammed with orders and please be patient. They make the woks on site. They said the endorsement from Kenji Lopez was almost overwhelming to them. Anyhow I got my awesome new wok in about 3 weeks maybe 4. I'd say try calling and give them your order number. They will give you an abrupt but good answer. The lady told me in a very kind Chinese accent, "Look! We know woks. We make dem here! Take Time! Don't worry! You get your wok soon!...Maybe next week..." I got the shipping notification a few days later.
    Last edited by troymeister; February 15, 2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Yeah, I'm guilty of using Amazon way too much. It feels better, in the long run, to cut them out and support small businesses.

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had a few woks over the years. The quality of this one is really good. It is a good carbon steel and solidly made. I personally think Jeff Bezos has enough money. I only use Amazon when I have to now.

• BBQandLove
      BBQandLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Your report makes me want to buy a wok from them. And I haven’t even used the one I just bought from Ace Mart in Dallas.

It’s good to hear Tane Chan & crew is doing well. Things were not so nice during Covid & the ensuing anti-oriental twist of the cultural kind.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Very cool troymeister ! They are good people.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That is so cool! It’s worth the wait IMO. For anyone thinking of ordering from them, if you can’t wait, get you a cheap wok from Walmart or wherever, to tide you over, should also give you time to practice.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John If I was impatient I would skip Walmart and get one from a local Asian market.

Yes they aren’t very professional. It took me many many follow up calls to reach them and sort out my order. I eventually did and love my wok, but sheesh!

Comment

When I ordered my wok from the Wok Shop it was a while with no response to emails. I called and got ahold of Tane Chan, she was apologetic and said they had been very busy. She asked what it was I ordered and then said you don't want that one (wood handled) The metal handle is what you want. She explained why and I agreed. It was shipped that day.
      Very happy with the wok and the service.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, I just ordered the 2 wood handles one. Oh well.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        RickyBobby It was the small wooden handle. It can be problematic when seasoning the wok. The main wood handle is easily removed , not the small one.

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ofelles ! That make sense. I was thinking of ordering another wok and was planning on the single wood handle round bottom version.

This is the one we ordered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i9iP7EJ.png
Views:	388
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1378634

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        You're going to love it. It's perfect.

K.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I have. Took weeks to get it though.
        Last edited by Old Glory; February 16, 2023, 07:20 PM.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a nice wok!

I think I found what I want. I can deal with a loooong time to get it. I've gone 70 years without, I can wait a month or so. My question, they don't bill you until it ships, right? That is the norm. I would have an issue paying for something that has not shipped yet.

Comment

Huskee and RickyBobby and others - The reason you want the metal helper handle is that the wooden helper handle is not removable. It will burn on the grill or if you season the wok in the oven. The main handle is wood, but unscrews. Ask FireMan for pictures of his wok with a missing (burned off) helper handle… when the wood goes you have two little metal nubs sticking out.

I bet you can change up the order if it hasn’t shipped yet.

I have the 14” flat bottom with metal helper handle, from the Wok Shop. Got it in early winter 2021 and mostly use if I want a stir fry and don’t feel like going out to the flat top.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          My non-stick wok that I don’t use any longer, but my wife does….i took the wooden helper handle off for this exact reason. Wanted to wok on the gril. So, off with it!

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you can unscrew the loop at the end of the handle to remove it.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Old Glory we are talking about the helper handle. It is not removable. The main handle removes the way you say.

this what I am looking at, flat bottom 14".

​​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

I'm still waiting for the wok but no longer worried about it. I'm also pretty sure my wife ordered the wok burner so I'm hoping to be cooking some time this spring. Hopefully, the wok gets here soon and I'll get it seasoned and start using it inside.

Comment

if a wok could tok, what wood it say?
            “I wood not get the wood”?

Comment

We are still waiting and so started calling this morning. My wife is on Spring break so she had the time to call them 12 times between then and now. When she finally got a hold of them they were nice and apologetic. They explained how the NYT and Wirecutter articles have left them slammed. But they said they can ship our order in a few days and it'll take a few more to get here so I may be ready to wok in about a week!
              Last edited by Attjack; March 28, 2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

We are still waiting after talking to them on the phone 3 weeks ago when the said it would arrive in a week. We talked to them again and they said they don't know what happened but since it's been over 3 months they needed the credit card info again. They are saying once again it'll be here in a week.

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have more patience than I do, I would have cancelled a long time ago. I’m sure it’s the one you really want but still, that stuff drives me crazy.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The wok burner manufacturer I ordered from was also recommended by Kenji so they are also slammed. But on their website they are upfront about the long lead time that should be expected. However, they also beat their estimate and delivered much sooner. The Wok Shop should definitely be much more upfront about how long it may take.

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm all for supporting small businesses...your patience is to be commended. Mine would have run out.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here