Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning cast iron...the plot thickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did six thin coats of flax over a week on my Field skillet, and it has been a dream.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know that "been a dream" was adequately descriptive. The Field Skillet is machined smooth at the factory. But if I heat the pan, and add oil, the oil runs around the pan in a manner very similar to how it does in a non-stick coated pan. It doesn't really adhere to the pan enough to coat the pan. So, what I do is oil the item that is going in, if I'm putting a sear on it. I use Crisbee for maintenance, and will reapply the 6 coat Flax if I feel it needs it. T

Ok, so...it seems to me that the old CI skillets we've inherited from our grandmas, the ones with a patina to die for, the ones that make us grin--well, those were probably seasoned with lard or bacon grease. Granny never heard of flax seed or avocado oil. No?
    Last edited by Willy; March 25, 2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I do believe there is good cause to take the Spinaker approach however..... I’m lazy.

i just put some grease on and cook in it. Had mine forever now and works great. I also use the green scrubby when needed and soap. I have a great surface on mine.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad to hear there's someone else out there who self describes as "lazy" when it comes to cast iron. I haven't considered seasoning with flax seed oil because I don't have flax seed oil in my kitchen. I do have lard and tallow and Pam, and for me, those have worked very well.

I use flaxseed oil and never had an issue, but I don’t use a lot. After every cook, I clean, dry, and then heat it up on my gas stove until hot to make sure it is bone dry, then let it cool slightly and then apply 2-3 drops of flaxseed oil and rub it on nice and even, and then let it cool completely. If I cook bacon or fry in my cast iron, I don’t bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
        Ok, so...it seems to me that the old CI skillets we've inherited from our grandmas, the ones with a patina to die for, the ones that make us grin--well, those were probably seasoned with lard or bacon grease. Granny never heard of flax seed or avocado oil. No?
        True, however modern animals lack the high levels lignin. Many are not free range and they don't get it in their diet, like they used too. Flax Oil is very high in lignin and it is what gives the seasoning it's great polymerization when heated and allowed to cool slowly.

Your grandmother was using a higher quality of lard to season her pans with. I am not saying that modern day lard or bacon grease or tallow won't work well, it does. However, if you are going to go this route look for a grass-fed option to see better results in the long run.

***Edit***
        Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) is actually what produces the ideal Free radicals that enable polymerization. Not Lignin. I stand corrected. Modern livestock do not have the same amount of ALAs because they are primarily fed grain on feed lots. They are not consuming the same natural diet they were in the past. (This is why grass-fed cattle have higher levels of ALAs. Making it ideal for cast iron seasoning.)

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No need to be sorry. You are right. It is the Omega-3 fatty acids that that are ideal for polymerization, most notably, alpha-linolenic-acid. I have reread several places that this produces the hardest polymers. Fats from animals in decades past had higher levels of ALA because of their diet. Since the animals now primarily feed on grain in feed lots, they are low in Omega-3s. Thanks for the correction. NapMaster

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Those acids also make chicken skin not as bad for you as people think.😀

All in context of course.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Chicken skin is too good to throw out anyway. HouseHomey

We have a local butcher shop that buys local grass fed and the tallow works great. I had to hide our CI some years ago and bought my wife some light weight cooking gear. My head doesn't take a long to heal.

Comment

Yeah on my Lodge stuff I've always just used the method of: cook like 2 lbs of bacon in it, rub the grease in, save the excess. Clean the pan, then do thin layers of avocado oil. Many thin layers work a lot better than one or two thick ones. Then whatever oil or fat you use to cook (butter, Crisco, bacon fat, whatever) will continue to season it over time. Also whenever you do a chicken, or brisket or something, save the carcass/trimmed fat and make your own stock/tallow using your CI pan or dutch oven and that'll help a ton (again just remember to wipe the excess out when you're done, you don't want a big greasy layer sitting on top). And my big thing is once you're finished cooking, clean it with nice hot water, scrub out any cooked on bits with either some kosher salt or one of those plastic scrapers (if it's really on there), dry completely, then heat (this is important) and apply another VERY thin layer of oil (again everyone has their fave, mine is avocado for the higher smoke point but I've used canola and olive oil in the past and they work just fine too) before you put it away.

I've also heard of a method where you heat up your pan, apply oil in a thin layer, let it evaporate/burn off/absorb, and just keep adding layers until the pan won't take anymore (Someone on this board linked to an article about it, I believe from an interview with an employee of a company that makes cast iron or something of this nature if I recall...if you're out there, post it again here!). Apparently doing this way you can put like a decade's worth of seasoning on in just a few minutes, vs. the traditional method of apply oil, bake it on, let it cool, re-apply, etc. which takes hours. I have a new dutch oven that I might try this faster method on and see if it works.

Oh and don't let the "never cook acidic food in cast iron!" thing freak you out...with a well seasoned pan you can definitely do it occasionally, particularly if you're just frying something quickly. You probably don't want to like, simmer tomato sauce in it for hours on end, but certainly if your pan is already seasoned, you can cook acidic foods in it just fine, as long as you season again after (which you should do anyway, regardless of what you've cooked).

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I have recently started using avocado oil too and really like it. And ditto on acidic food.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Please, share yer results, Amigo!

adamcoe this might be the article you're referring to:
          https://gearpatrol.com/2018/10/27/ca...faster-easier/

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, I need to get me one of those Smithey skillets.

• adamcoe
            adamcoe commented
            Editing a comment
            That is indeed the article. Thanks for posting!

Hoo boy. After checking a few websites regarding seasoning CI it would appear that this is NOT a settled topic. LOL I have no dog in this fight, but the differing opinions are...interesting. Cheers!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            It will never be settled. Do what works for you.

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably because it all works. That’s why this is fun.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Different strokes for different folks. Different expectations and different results. No control over exogenous factors that may influence. Oven temp and heating characteristics, differences in pans, etc.

Yeah, well Kenji's also been all over twitter saying don't eat at Chick-Fil-A... take it w a grain of salt.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            It figures.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey yep. Ruins everything 😩

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Soak everything in a dill marinade and the need for chick fil a is ended.

I just use oil. As long as it isn’t oil for my car, waverunner, or other machines it seems to work fine. What’s better? Got me. I used olive oil for my blackstone. Well olive oil and then the next day I went bacon crazy with a breakfast of the Gods. When I had to spot reseason some CI stuff I just used vegetable or corn oil or olive oil (whichever I grabbed first) and it worked. I guess. Still using the stuff.

I don’t think it matters much. But if you think something works better, why not just use that. If you have found that one type of oil isn’t working, don’t use it. If what you are doing is working, keep doing it.

I think the most important thing is to do what grandma did. Use your CI stuff. A lot. Grandma (or maybe now great grandma) didn’t have aluminum, copper, stainless steel, Teflon, ceramic coatings, or any of that modern crap. Your choices were the cast iron pot, the big cast iron skillet, or the small cast iron skillet.

also I think proper cleaning procedure is more important than oil type. the spot reseasonng I had to do was because stainless steel wool was used. With soap. And the deep skillet was a home goods find, so it wasn’t lodge. It’s not as good as my other stuff.
          Last edited by SmokeyGator; March 26, 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

The great thing about cooking in general is there is usually more than one way to achieve the same results. That goes for seasoning cast iron and mainting it too. That’s what makes this so much fun.

Comment

My Lodge pieces all seasoned up beautifully with generic vegetable oil.

My 100 year old Griswold Dutch oven needs to be reseasoned every time I use it. Wiping it with oil before use always gives black paper towels. I always wipe it down after every use, I’ve gone through the seasoning ritual dozens of times. Now, I just use it without worrying. The food still comes out great, so my guess is it doesn’t matter much as far as taste goes.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the same experience regarding the black paper towels with my Griswold skillets.

My grandmothers made it a simple three step process:
              Fry your chicken in lard in it.
              Fry your bacon in it.
              Fry your fatback in it.

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty much advice for life, really.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Repeat, as needed...

Blasted over high flame outdoors rubbing with oil until black, then hang in PBC to bake at 400 and use up residual coals. Cooked on it once (eggs, no sticking at all).

No patience for multiple layers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D499E22B-E80E-49EF-836B-382C576D9E08.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	678006
              Last edited by Polarbear777; May 12, 2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                Another use for the PBC.... nice!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here