Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

Some Of Our Favorite
Tools And Toys

These are not ads. These are products we love and highly recommend. Click here to read more about our medals and what they mean.

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Seasoning cast iron...the plot thickens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top | #1

Seasoning cast iron...the plot thickens

Kenji and a few of the serious eats folks have been all over twitter recently recommending AGAINST flax seed oil. Says it hardens fast but chips off extremely easily.

I dont personally have any CI pieces right now but that has been my experience with my carbon steel. Supposedly its harder to build up seasoninng on CS though.

thoughts/personal experience?

• Top | #2
    Let’s summon Spinaker

Comment

• Top | #3
      It does tend to flake easier. But if you put it on in thin layers, at high heat and allow it to cool slowly, Flax works great. Not that there are not other options as well. Grape seed oil is also very good. Grass fed tallow is great as well.

Get into the cast iron game!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. What Spinaker done said: 20 is th new 60+ lol!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Grape seed oil. Hmmm - would that be the Grapes of Cast??

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, I Like it! RonB

• Top | #4
      I just use extreme heat and shortening. I’ve tried flax and haven’t had much luck with it. I’m too impatient to do more than two layers before cooking with it though.

What I have experienced is that if the surface is “glass-smooth” it’s going to be tough to get that seasoning to hang on. Satin finish like current stargazer or rough like lodge are really easy.

Comment

• Top | #5
        My current method is to take a new scrubbed clean pan outside to the 60k BTU wok burner and hold each section of the pan over the burner until it smokes and in between wiping with a shortening laden paoer towel. Once the entire pan is now brown/black, I wipe it one more time, being sure to wipe off all but a thin layer, then hang it in the PBC that’s already running and I just pulled food out of and let it roll at 350F plus until the fire goes out.

Seasoning outside is the way to go. Even in the oven you can get too much smoke and fumes indoors.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do mine in my kamado. Outside is definitely best.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Best place to do it! Cools SLOWLY! Thunder77

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too, outside in the kamado. I get good results with canola oil. Most of my CI is vintage with a nice satin finish. I call it good at 4 or 5 thin layers of seasoning. So far I've not had any flaking issues.

• Top | #6
        Also, that’s just the initial seasoning. As you use it the real, long term seasoning takes affect, layer upon layer, until the only thing that would remove said seasoning would be sand blasting. I cringed when my wife told me that’s what her dad did that to her ma’s CI. He worked in a foundry & they were “nice and clean” pieces when we inherited them. The seasoning wasn’t 60 to 80 years old, maybe twenty & they were always washed with dish soap, go figure. Over time I’ve come to rely & use them exclusively. We do have stainless pots for the tomatoe concoctions. We do have one ceramic skillet I bought for my wife because of her inability to handle anything with any weight to it. As Spin said get in the game. Once ya learn em, you’ll never need or go to anything else. 🕶

Comment

• AverageJoe
          AverageJoe commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan I still cringe when I go to my folks house. They have a gorgeous set of CI that they have used as long as I can remember. And have had I believe for 42+ years, but they are always washed with soap and water.

• Top | #7
        Also. Just get a 12” lodge skillet. Not that expensive and you’ll wonder how you lived without it. :-)

Then a 5-7 qt Dutch oven. (I like the camp style with legs because direct coal cooking is fun).

With those two there’s not much you can’t cook.

Comment

• Top | #8
          I have my carbon steel skillet which i love. And it is lighter than CI so im probably sticking with that, no pun intended, just now.

like everythig else with this site though, im sure ill give in eventually, lol.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I can probably help you with that!

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I like carbon steel outside. Inside my range is wimpy so I need the thermal inertia that CI gives me.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh you WILL give inif you hang around this thread! 😜😜

• Top | #9
          I've also not had good results with Flax oil, it just doesn't seem to be very durable or nonstick at all. Went back to using Crisco as the first few layers and right now I'm digging Avocado oil for seasoning on the stovetop. Seems to be working well on the new 12" skillet and the dutch oven I managed to galaxy brain my way into screwing up the seasoning on.

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been using avocado oil for just about everything for the last year or so - including seasoning my CI skillet.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve also been using avocado oil for a few years. I also have larbee pucks that I’ll use.

• Top | #10
          Flaxseed oil and linseed oil are essentially the same. They come from the same plant. Linseed oil is used on furniture, cabinets, and various other wood items. I have a buddy that grew up wheat farming in Kansas and they used linseed oil on the floor of their grain trucks to make the wheat slide out easy at the grain elevator. In my mind I could see the flax seed oil flaking out.

The old timers used whatever lard/tallow was available and it worked just fine for them. I use whatever cooking oil, etc is closest at hand and it works just fine.

I guess my points are two.
          1. If you already have flax seed oil, use it and don't agonize about it.
          2. I'm personally going to use whatever I have at hand and I'm not going to worry about it.

Just comments for thought. Listen to old Spinaker He'll steer you right.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup.2

• PodunkFarm
            PodunkFarm commented
            Editing a comment
            They are not the same. Flaxseed oil is pure and OK for human consumption. Linseed oil is refined and contains additives for its use in paint & refinishing.

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            PodunkFarm You are correct and I was not trying to imply they were interchangeable. They are from the same plant and seeds. The processing is different and the linseed oil typically has other compounds added to speed drying, etc.

• Top | #11
          I'm a heretic on this, but I think seasoning on the cooking surface of CI is way over-thought. The research and practical experience are interesting, but not necessarily all that useful. I regularly blow out the seasoning on the cooking surface of my skillets - things like cooking an acidic food, simmering something that boils away the seasoning, or even (gasp) scrubbing with a scouring pad. When it happens, I just cook something with oil/fat - and I don't really worry about what kind. I mostly cook with animal fats, butter, coconut oil, avocado oil - all of them do a fine job, but like I said, I don't worry about it too much.

For me the key factor is that I use the same 3 skillets all the time and I always use stainless steel spatulas. A stainless steel spatula smooths the surface over time as you use it. My skillets are all Lodge, which came from the factory a little rough, and now they are smooth as glass. I can completely trash the seasoning on my main skillet, toss in a pat of butter and cook an omelette with no sticking.

The all-over seasoning is important to prevent rust, but I don't worry about the seasoning on the cooking surface.

Comment

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Dilly Dilly!!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Si senior.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            This has also been my experience; use em, wash em, roll on down th Road.

• Top | #12
          I was impressed by the seasoning that came on my Camp Chef Golden Spike https://www.campchef.com/golden-spike-oval-roaster.html
          that I bought some of their conditioner. Though overpriced, it works very well; and only takes a very small amount to coat a pan - I keep a small saturated rag in a ziplock and reuse it to rub a small amount on after washing; then bake to 400F and let slow cool in oven. It works great. It contains Organic Palm Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Citric Acid https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-6-O.../dp/B000H86C9I

Comment

• Top | #13
            I've been using Crisbee on all of mine. I really like it.

Comment

• Sephon
              Sephon commented
              Editing a comment
              I am also a disciple of the Crisbee puck

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I use Crisbee for maintenance. Flax for the big initial season, and maybe an occasional reseason if I feel the need.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I flax bout twice / thrice, then it's Larbee's, as of late...

• Top | #14
            I have seasoned both my Lodge CI skillets with flaxseed oil without any issues. My large one I actually used a Crisbee puck a few times then used flaxseed building up 5 layers. It is smooth as glass and very durable.

Comment

• Top | #15
              I got a Lodge dutch oven for Christmas and my wife mistakenly put it in the sink. By the time I got back the damage was done, rust everywhere. I finally decided to clean it up and season it yesterday. I took steel wool to the rust, washed it, dried it, sprayed with cannola oil and put it in the oven at 350. Then I made smoked brisket chili with it, minus the lid. The pot is now a beautiful black seasoned color, and the lid is not lol.

Let me know what I did right or wrong in cleaning it up and seasoning it, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like ya done jus fine; too bad th lid ain't quite caught up with yer DO, but that'll all even out, in th end, I reckon...
            Working...
            X