Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is It?

Bought this at an antique store today, but not sure if it’s a cooking pan or lead ingot mold. Cast iron, 22 indentations in it and each one is 3 1/4” long by 1” wide. Some have said it is a cornbread pan like they use to make sticks at the Shaker Village in Kentucky and others have said lead ingot mold. I’m going to lead check it Tuesday to make sure but in the meantime, are there any experts that can weigh in? No markings on it and I only gave $15 for it so if it tests hot for lead I’m trashing it. Click image for larger version

Name:	9B74FCB9-15A3-4E6F-A823-D2A2DDD3DAA6.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	456811

Twinkie pan?

Click image for larger version

Name:	twinkie.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	456815

Comment

• SlushDeezey
      SlushDeezey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sections are too small for that. Would be great to have one though.

Oh Spinaker where art thou?

Comment

Breadstick Pan

Comment

It looks like a gem pan. They used to use them to make little pieces of corn bread, stuff like that. What does the back look like?

A lot of foundries made pieces of cookware for private vendors. Sometimes they would not label the pans when they were produced. Especially in the late 1800's, early 1900's

Comment

http://www.nantucketcountryantiques....category_id=88

Scroll about 2/3 down the page.

If you google "cast iron cornbread pan" and switch to "Image View", you will see a number of these. Some are divided, and some run all the way across the pan. Griswold made one, so I'm sure Spinaker is on top of this.
          Last edited by RonB; February 18, 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Oops! Spinaker posted while I was editing my post...

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker is faster than his own shadow. Ancient pit master club saying... ;-)

And here I was going to guess an organiser for small nuts and bolts.......

Comment

Dang, my idea of the first prototype non-release ice cube tray just sounds silly now.

Comment

I would lean toward a gem pan too. Typically an ingot mold would have reverse cast markings in the bottom of each mold to denote the, well, ingot! There is SOOOOOO much iron out there, it is truly a cult in itself to figure out!

Comment

Thank you all. I googled Corn Bread Gem pans as suggested above and bigger than day, there it was! No markings on it and the indentations go all the way across on the back side with no separation in the middle like on the front. I’m still going to LeadChek it to make sure someone didn’t use it for making fishing weights or what not.

Comment

The following website has some good photos to help identify what company made the gem. It's a pretty helpful site. Since there is no "Made in the USA" or "USA" stamp on the back, it was made prior to 1960. The site has decent articles regarding CI.

The Cast Iron Collector: Information for the Vintage Cookware Enthusiast. Learn how to identify, clean, restore, season and use collectible antique cast iron cookware.

Comment

Yeah, my sister and her husband, big into flea markets, auctions, and "sales" of every kind ( long before the TV shows popularized them) has run across these pans.

She has got my son into glass insulators. He runs into some good ones every now and again missed by the for profit "pickers".

I hope your pan is lead free, and you can make a corn bread batch with it.

M.

Comment

A paperweight

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here