Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cast iron collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cast iron collection

I've been nosing around a little bit and saw some great cast iron. My collection is nowhere near as large as most, but I use it all.

First are the skillets and griddles. The little square pan is not used very often, but occasionally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20111131_cast_iron.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	364225

Here's my camping Dutch ovens. When we go camping, I usually cook breakfast and dinner in them. I only have a couple of recipes that use both of them. That's a 12" deep and a 10" normal depth Lodge Dutch oven.

Name:	camping_dutch_ovens.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	364226

Here's my MACA Dutch oven. I heard that MACA was getting out of the Dutch oven business and would stop selling these. So I ordered the largest one they sold. This sucker is 61 pounds. I could fit a 20 pound turkey in this sucker. It was a challenge to season it, I had to build a rig outside out of sheet metal and fiberglass insulation. It wouldn't fit in my home oven. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to cook in this Dutch oven.

Name:	GJr0_6HURTUeqeDjSFi73zdRc9fVuogzumT0JzgInrYFgpLV6NTB83UL_ZMjkbtpmECtrsTRAZZ9otwe9HCYDYu9G4WpvXklXdHDIaM5Y_yuoO-elCzEgmlZ0wY_g0wD_h2lCCCm08mI3jtPzIvwy0RRV7NJdFBc0G8-XKLcmY3gPAvqr_kj63esDMEqG_85VHSkhnQpaeDc89Tg9y73F7NdL5FotPC2mzvaDdvDP-uwGicwsnCW_drWpc-QJmP
Views:	183
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	364227

I LOVE black iron. Use it as much as possible. A 12 inch skillet, a griddle, and those 2 ovens are the 4 pieces everone should have. Never seen that maca, beautiful

Comment

When I started getting interested in cast iron, I saw those MACA ovens and said one day. But the shipping was about $80. I couldn't do that. But when I found out they were stopping production, I figured it was the last chance I'd ever get. Even if I never use it, I love that oven.

Comment

Heating up an old 12 inch griswald on the grill right now witha bit of tallow for some fajitas. BIFL (Black Iron For Life)

Comment

I love that MACA oven; it's gorgeous!

Comment

Nice! I love the concept but somehow my implementation falls flat. I can't get/keep them seasoned correctly and end up having everything stuck to it. Yours look great! Nice job!!

Comment

Thanks fer yer Great Post!!!
              Beautiful collection, good Sir...
              Thanks fer sharin' with us IronHeads!
              I have a few pieces, my dang self...
              That MACA is quite th' Hawg!!!!
              To quote texastweeter BIFL (Black Iron For Life) \Or CIFL (Cast) ditto...

Comment

Irondequer, check out some of the info on the web from Keith Rollins for how to season, use black iron. once you get it dialed in, I PROMISE you, you will look for reasons to use it.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kent Rollins I believe it is.

Beautiful pieces. I'm just wondering why Spinaker hasn't chimed in yet. Hell he might be on a nice fishing trip. Just thinking about that makes me jealous.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got me.

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                Beautiful pieces. I'm just wondering why Spinaker hasn't chimed in yet. Hell he might be on a nice fishing trip. Just thinking about that makes me jealous.
                He and his cast iron collection finally broke through the earth's crust!

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha HILARIOUS!!!

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  vBulletin isn't completely fixed. Tried to like your comment but I'm not authorized. So...."I LIKE YOUR COMMENT". HAHAHAHA

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True story, Then I ended up in Canada fishing for Walleyes. Who knew?

Nice, nice, nice! The MACA is indeed gorgeous. GregS, I see that 12" Lodge...

CI is soooooo cool to cook with, and it's virtually indestructible ( unless yer doin' stupid stuff ) --Ed

Comment

Medusa, the big skillet is the 13.25" Lodge. I have a lid for it too, but that's not in the pic. Also came up with a bacon press from somewhere.

Comment

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! I stand corrected, and I guess I don't even know what I have - LOL!

This is awesome. I cook everything in cast iron at home. I don't own a single pan or pot that isn't cast iron any more. A lot of that has to do with the fact that my cooktop is induction, but that's beside the point. My collection isn't very large, but I would love to see a picture of Spinaker collection. I know it has to be magnificent. I know Mr. Bones has posted his before....and it's a seriously respectable collection.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry, I have been out of the country. I will get a picture and post it tonight!

He had started a thread about his collection a while back. Mind blowing!

Comment

• GregS
                    GregS commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that's an amazing collection.

Nice collection! Love that huge oven. I only have a couple of Lodge skillets and a Broil King griddle but they are great. Some of these newer boutique guys are getting me interested, Fields, stargazer and Smithy in particular. Plus those Finex are pretty cool. Darn MCS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here