Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CI Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So has anyone pulled the trigger? Is this the thing to buy when I eventually break the BGE?

Comment

So, Roodz, I ended up getting one. There is a dealer a few miles from me who discounts them a bit. I had a KJ for probably 8 or so years that I updated when useful accessories were developed and replaced the fire ring under warrantee with the newer design. I let it go earlier this year. I've got a bunch of different cookers so am not married to the kamado "lifestyle" but there are times that process appeals. The cast iron body acts fairly similarly to the ceramic of the KJ/BGE, slow to heat up, long to retain heat. The outside gets pretty warm, but not appreciably different from the ceramic. You'll never have to "worry" about the lid band coming loose and dropping the dome, this thing is solid. The springs offer very good counter balance to the dome, so it opens with relative ease. The options they show on their site are pretty much it for add-ons, so it lacks the support of the more active aftermarket for the ceramics. That said, while this is advertised as a 20", and it is, some of the stuff made for the 18s will fit fine. For instance, I've added a stainless fuel basket to help with periodic clean up. I got the cast divider panel so I could more easily do indirect cooking. I especially enjoy doing steaks indirect and then putting a righteous sear on by dropping the meat to the cast iron deflector (plate setter for BGE folk) over the fire. It acts like a griddle, though they don't really tout it that way. It controls temp pretty much the same as the KJ. I've still got my BBQ Guru Digi Q and fan but haven't used it yet as I haven't done any longer cooks that might need help with temp control for longer periods. Fuel consumption is at least as good as on the KJ, maybe a bit better. I didn't get the model with the two shelves as it was awkward to move around the way they distribute weight. I got the one with just the cart and then did my own mod to add a shelf. Part of why I chose that one was the pivoting casters on the legs without the large iron wheels. It moves around so much more easily than the shelf one that doesn't have those casters. All in all, for kamado folk it's worth considering.................what's not to like about cast iron cooking implements?
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; November 25, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Roodz
        Roodz commented
        Editing a comment
        I am wondering about rust etc? Do you have to keep it all covered? I don't like to baby my cookers, as I feel like all covers eventually tear to pieces. Will I be able to leave this thing outside in the midwest without rusting apart? I need to just bite the bullet and drive the 1.5 hour to nearest dealer and check one out in person.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Roodz, if any equipment is made from steel/iron rust is always a potential..............you can't fight reality. That said, the outside is powder coated both on the cooker itself, and the cart, so has probably as good of a protection system as any cooker I've seen of similar quality construction. The insides of course will be like any other cast iron cooking device that gets used with some regularity, it will be seasoned with residual grease from the cooking process.

• Terp Tom
        Terp Tom commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob, thanks for the detailed review. Not to belabor the point, but I am curious: Does anything about this cooker impede your cooking? I looked at it online and the bars on the grate look really wide; I would worry about them blocking too much radiant heat. How well does the firebox divider create 2 zones? How much care do the grates require to prevent rust?

I work in Columbus, GA where they make these so I'm intrigued. I'm surprised AR hasn't reviewed this cooker yet.

Terp Tom I'm not completely clear by what you might have in mind about "impede" cooking. If it's related to your follow up questions then I hope I can accommodate. If not, just ask away with whatever specifics might concern you.

As a fully enclosed cooker there's no problem with radiant heat, other than time and fuel enough to get the job done. A couple nights ago I did steak again, indirect then sear on the deflector. The ambient temp was in the high 30s so I started the fire a bit earlier just in case, but it came up fine and cruised at 300-350 air temp inside, and the sear was fabulous. As for the grate impression you have, I'd say this is a "normal" cast iron grate with typical pyramid shaped bars and normal spacing. If you're into grille marks they are great, and I haven't had any outcome I'd consider negative. Rust on the grates is not an issue for me, but I will occasionally see people complain about rust with similar hardware, though not necessarily the Golden. My suspicion is they don't understand cast iron seasoning and over do the cleaning thing then don't take the necessary lubrication step before whatever length storage they do. I treat all cast iron, and carbon steel for that matter, the same. I season it well when new in typical cast iron seasoning style, and then scrape clean as needed. If I break through the seasoning I redo that spot/area. I have several cookers with C.I. grates/components and never have rust issues. Probably an experience thing.

The divider plate does a very good job of separating the burning fuel to one side, basically half the fire box. Given the design of the lifting tool they provide it interferes with lifting the deflector through the provided hole. I just cut a 1" notch in it, job done. If you go visit them you can say I think they should do that in the original design to make it more user friendly. A pretty minor point.

Here's a pic of Monday's steak sear. The steak was cooked on the half grate to near done temp then dropped on the deflector for a couple minutes per side to sear. It was about 2" thick, just over 2 Lb. took 40 minutes total or so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	golden steak sear.jpg Views:	0 Size:	451.0 KB ID:	973471
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; January 13, 2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Terp Tom
        Terp Tom commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bob, that pretty much answers my questions. I got a better understanding of the GCIC from your two posts here than anywhere else. Just one last question - is it easy to cook frequently? I think I know the answer, but I'm asking anyway. I'd consider saving up for one of these if it made a difference in how often I cook outside.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom, I'm chuckling at your question. I'm not the best guy to ask that kind of question of. I cook outside anywhere between 1 and 4 times per week, it's Texas, I have a covered patio, and I'm nuts. If you mean "do I use this cooker frequently" the answer would be no. Not because of the cooker but because I have a dozen others to play with.....and I don't want any to get jealous. Also, I'm easily distracted and love to experiment.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here