Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CI Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CI Cooker

Anyone know anything about the Goldens cast iron cooker? looks interesting and it is CI so it kind of kills two birds with one stone. CI and Grilling.

That is interesting I didnt read the whole site. (and I should have) cause dont know if its double walled? seems like if it wasn't it would get really hot on the outside? very heavy to start with but in a pinch it could be used as a tornado shelter or protection from a A bomb (much better than a old refrigerator that saved indy's butt in Indy 4) Interested to see what Spinaker will have to say?

Comment

Know nothing about it. But, Cast Iron, a Kamado, you could put that next to 2 pallets of KBB, & you might have nirvana.

Comment

330 pounds for the cooker alone. Putting that on your deck is a commitment! Cause you ain't movin it...

Comment

There was a thread earlier about this.......

I would think these would be great to cook on. The outside is enamel coated (much like the KJ or BGE) so you wouldn't have to worry about surface or flash rust on the outside. As for the interior, the heat, smoke and fat from your cooks would put a great layer of seasoning on the inside. So rust wouldn't really be an issue. Although, I would be curious to see what the moisture build up would be like on the inside ofter a cook.

As for the weight, there are plenty of smokers and cookers out there that are heavy. A XXL egg for instance is 426 lbs. And a Primo XL is 250 lbs. While many offsets and cabinet smokers are easily north of 330 lbs. I won't even go into the weight of a Komodo Kamado. Would it be a pain in the behind to move? Sure, but Kamados are not meant to be "portable" units. (there are exceptions with the Broil King Keg) There is a cart available that would make it "moveable". I would feel much better about moving my Cast Iron Kamado, than my Ceramic one across the deck or patio.

The unit is not double walled, but neither is the KJ, BGE, Primo, Weber kettle. Most are not and they all heat up on the outside while cooking. I don't think a cast iron unit would be any different in that regard. My Broil King Keg is double walled with insulation in between, and it STILL gets hot on the out side while cooking. Heat on the outside has never been a negative for me. it just comes with the territory. I mean, doesn't the outside of your gasser heat up? or most other cookers? With the exception of some heavily insulated cabinet smokers, I don't think I would touch any outer surface of a unit.

I am not saying I am going to go out and buy one of these but I don't see how they are a whole lot different than other any other Kamado.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I would put money on that statement. Craigar

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            You know just putting the word "buy" in your post means it's already on your radar. Let us know when you receive it and show us some pics. LOL John.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            hahahaha, and the fact that its cast iron doesn't help either. Steve B

I kinda like this thing!

Comment

The more I look at this, the more it intrigues me. Lifetime warranty, made in USA, and no bands to worry about like on most ceramic kamados. Just when I thought I had it all figured out I get tossed another curve ball. Max Good can you help shed some light on this cooker? Thank you!

Comment

• Max Good
              Max Good commented
              Editing a comment
              I've seen them. Obviously solid and very heavy. Do they have any dealers near you? http://www.goldenscastiron.com/where...cast-iron-cook

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Max Good it appears the closest dealer is about 7 hours away from me in Bonne Terre, MO. Since I have a brother that lives south of St. Louis I might have to see if he would be willing to go on a recon mission for me.

Looks like the perfect kamado for military folks. When the lowest bidder is your moving company you don't always get the best, and I know several that don't have a ceramic cooker for that reason. They look good to boot.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. Not to say that it couldn't crack. But its a lot more durable that a ceramic would be.

Took a second look at the web page they have tabs!! so I could see the inner workings! Its got a fire box so my biggest worry was how incredibly hot the bottom part would get, but in effect it is doubled walled with the firebox. its got some cool inserts and the cart it comes with has oversized wheels to move around on. Looked on YouTube could only find 3 or 4 videos none of it actually cooking. interesting idea one that I will keep tabs on.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think they would get any hotter than a Ceramic cooker on the bottom. Plus its in a cart or placed on fire brick for a built in. As long as you are not trying to check the temp with your hand under the cooker, it should be fine.

I guess my questions would be one of equivalency in heat retention and thermal mass, given the different thermal property's of both these materials. not saying which one is better just wondering if that would be a major factor.

Comment

Looked at the website, that is a pretty serious piece of barbecue equipment. I didn't find anywhere on how thick the cast-iron is. The price looks reasonable to me. Wherever you put it that's where to stay, lol.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                3/8 inch casting

Goldens or Blaze, Goldens or Blaze, Goldens or Blaze...

Comment

Checking out the Facebook, they have a lot of pretty good videos and pics. I am intrigued for sure! Never had me and Egg cooker of any sort. Been REALLY looking lately at the new Big Joe. But this looks pretty cool as well. In either case I need a new patio. My old wood deck can't hold all the things I have as it is. Maybe time to finally get a concrete truck out!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It would go nicely next to that Harley! Love your You Tube channel. You should put a few BBQ videos together. Plus you could use your beloved J&S Jack to move that cooker around!

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha brother thanks!! Yea, I would need the J&S for sure. I may have to do up a vid or two. Got a few on my old Vimeo channel, but dang that was long ago. Need to update and get with the times!

Just as I was sayin there ol' Spinaker, Cast Iron, Kamado, I can tell by the gleam in your eye, your a griller & so am I, & while we're on the subject, then a little thing called MCS enters and cries, I want One!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do like it...............

Reviving this old thread. Maybe Golden's has revamped their marketing campaign, but I've seen the dealers increase in the B'ham metro area. I spoke to one who was a long time KJ dealer, he told me when they sold out to Masterbuilt they couldn't compete with Lowe's and such so they took in the Golden's Kamado and dropped KJ. He swears they can't keep them in stock. I piddled with the cooker, they are incredibly well built.

I first saw them on Ballistic BBQ's YouTube channel. He was sitting on the cart shelf, that's how beefy they are built.....
                Skip to 12:32. https://youtu.be/f5kErZtxUD4

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Antique machine tools wind my watch...…………………….they snagged me with the wheels.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here