Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Cast Iron via Electrolysis Bath

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    Thunder77

Here is how I do it. I have had great results with this method.

For the initial rounds of seasoning. (About 5 rounds) I use Flax oil. It is considered a "drying Oil" so it perfect for seasoning cast iron. And it has a much lower smoke point than most other oils that are used.
    When I start, I put the CI in the oven at 200 F for about 15 mins to make sure the surface is bone dry before I add any oil. This also allows the pours in the metal to open up and accept more oil.
    Once the CI is heated, I drizzle some Flax Oil in the CI and wipe the whole thing down, inside and out, handle and all. I make sure that all of the oil is wiped out. Even though you've wiped it out, there is still a very thin layer of oil on the surface. This is what you want. Any excess oil will cause a sticky surface to the CI. Bad News.
    After you have everything wiped down, turn on the oven to 500 F and put the CI in the oven. (if you have a skillet flip it over to avoid any pooling of oil) I want the pan to heat up with the oven. Once the oven reaches that 500 F mark, start a timer for an hour. Let it go for an hour, at 500F, then turn the oven off and let it cool naturally.
    I repeat this four to six times. After these rounds of seasoning with flax, I cook the first few times with lard. I find that it works best after the initial seasoning to cook with but I imagine you could use cooking spray or shorting as well.
    Spinaker ,

I've been having troubles with my CI. No matter what temp I set the oven, how well I wipe out the oil, etc., I cannot seem to get a good season and it always comes out sticky. I have used Canola and vegetable in the past. If I use your method, will I need to strip it all the way down and start over, or can I use your method with what I have and achieve good results. There's no rust on my pans and they're generally in good shape, I'm just not happy with the seasoning and can't figure it out.

Comment

Chuck T
      If your pans are coming out sticky, you have too much oil on the surface of the iron. The temp is important, but if you have too much oil, the temp will have little to do with it.
      You don't have to strip the pan all the way down. But I like to to start with a totally clean surface.
      What type of pan and who makes it. Can you post a picture of the pan for me?

Comment

Spinaker
        It's a Lodge 9"...the shiny spots are the sticky oil. Let know if you need other angles.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	326182

Comment

Chuck T , a few things.
          1) Make sure the pan is totally dry before putting any oil on the surface. Take the clean pan and let it heat soak in a 300 F oven for 15-20 mins. (No oil) This will ensure the surface is totally dry.
          2) Make sure you are wiping the oil out with a separate, clean, lint free towel. If you use a towel that leaves lint on the surface of the pan, oil will pool, m bake and can turn sticky. (like in your picture) I like to use these blue shop towels.
          3) You only need about a half-dollar size pool of oil to cover the whole pan. Excess oil will cause stickiness and uneven seasoning. (Like what you have above)
          4) When you place you wiped pan in the oven, make sure the pan is up side down, thats with the cooking surface facing down. This will also help eliminate pooling on the surface
          5) Re-wipe the pan after 20 mins of baking. This should eliminate those little sticky marks.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. You might want to strip and start over too. :/

Comment

It has been a while since I had the bath fired up. My #7 Griswold Griddle that I picked up at an estate sale really needs some love. This one is going to be gorgeous, when finished!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Griddle Back.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.65 MB ID:	327567Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Griddle: Front .JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.80 MB ID:	327570
            I went to HD this afternoon and picked up some new copper wire and a new vessel. These 13-gallon trash cans are perfect for doing griddles. They are tall and narrow, so you don't have to have a huge container to do a longer piece, like a griddle.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Electrolysis Bath:No Water.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	327568Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Griddle:Soaked.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	327571 You can just see the bubbles starting to build. I plugged in the charger about 5 secs before taking this picture. The next picture was taken about an hour into the bath. You can easily see rust and gunk floating to the surface. This is totally normal. Do not be alarmed when you see this in your bath, it means that you are doing things correctly! Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Griddle:1-hour in.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.47 MB ID:	327569
            I will update the pictures tomorrow morning when this session is finished. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Really love the griddle. I would say that is a nasty scum you have there but I have seen the same thing and really thought the pan could not be that rusty or dirty. Will love to see results on the griddle. Here is a similar pic of one of my baths. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170509_142948_resized.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	327644

Comment

Nice Richard!!!! It is crazy how much "Stuff" is really there.Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures of the pieces you are restoring? Richard P

Comment

Here are the results from last night. The back cleaned up perfectly! The front still has a bit of shadowing from the seasoning, but this griddle is ready to go! I am going to put it back in the bath for a few hours, just to see if I can get rid of some of the ghosting. But all in all this was a great soak. I can't wait to get a few layers of Flax on this baby!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold back: Morning after.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.62 MB ID:	327737​Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Morning after.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.00 MB ID:	327738​

Comment

That's one Suh-Weet griddle, Brotha Spinaker !!!
                    Cain't hardly wait to see it, after yer Famous Flax Oil Seasonin's!!!
                    Thanks, immensely, fer sharin'!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I knew you would love this one Bones. I am about to get her in the oven for the first round!

Spinaker this method should work for old tools too, right? I've got a few old steel tools from my grandfather that could use some rust removal.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes it should work, Just make sure they aren't coated in chromium. Some not so nice gases can develop.......

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What Spinaker said...
                      think a bit about it, chrome (chromium) is applied how?
                      Electroplatin'...
                      so, were they plated, ya would basically be un-applyin' any/all of that finish, which would make aforementioned sentimentally treasured tools rust even worse/faster...
                      Besides, I likeys patina...
                      (Have ya' seen my truck?

Spinaker Earlier you said that you were going to put back in bath to get rid of the rest of the old seasoning. On one of my dutch ovens there was a crusty layer on the inside bottom that refused to even soften up in the bath even after 24 hours.. i had to use a wire brush and scotch brite pad on a drill to remove this old crud layer. Then I seasoned the dutch oven bottom and it turned out pretty good. Have you ever had this problem before and how would you remove this.

Name:	knox bottom going to vat.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	327789

Name:	knox pan bottom restored.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	327790

Comment

Richard P First of all,
                      That dutch looks great!!
                      Yes I have had this problem in the past with deep skillets and dutch ovens. Anytime you have a concave or deep set set surface, you will have this issue. I usually take it out of the bath, scrub it with a non-scratching pad then rinse thoroughly. Then I put it back in the bath for another 24 hours. The inside of pots and deep skillets are always tough. But given enough time, the gunk would be removed. Sometimes it does take more than 24 hours in the bath.

Comment

Great work and write up! That process is really cool and I love the griddle!

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Dude! Give it a try.

I am taking full advantage of this warm spell we are having in Minnesota; I am taking the bath out for a run.
                      On the docket tonight is my Griswold Cast Iron waffle maker. Since it is three pieces, this will take three separate soaks. I have had this piece for over a year and I have not done anything with it, so I figured since it was "warm out", I should gives this waffle maker the TLC it deserves! I am really looking forward to the challenge in restoring this piece of history.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Waffle Maker.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	416255​Click image for larger version  Name:	Griswold Waffle maker #2.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	416256​
                      Here she is about 5 mins after turning on the charger.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	E-Bath: Start up.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	416254​

Comment

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Beautiful piece Spinaker! Can't wait to see the final pics on this one.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They up Mudkat

Here is my Griswold Waffle maker after one round of seasoning. Not a bad first round, it time for a long, high-heat soak with some more Larbee Puck.

Name:	Griswold:Waffle Maker:First Round.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	417093

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here