Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I clean up some filthy Cast Aluminum GrillGrates (TM), the brand name aluminum cooking godsends?? HELP PLEASE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

GrillGrate.com has a whole page on cleaning with several videos. One is the use of Simple Green. Look for the video titled "Spring Cleaning".

Care and Clean your GrillGrates with our cleaning tools and accessories. Use an onion to season your grates.

Comment

After seeing it do miracles on range brass, I've been using a mixture of Lemishine and Dawn ultra to soak things in. It is amazing! I don't own grill grates, but I'd give it a try.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's approved by the manufacturer, but I accidentally found an easy way to clean them. Place a cast iron griddle on top for, let's say, a reverse sear of a tri-tip or some strip steaks...Mmmmm. I usually let the griddle heat up for ~15-20min prior to the sear. After dinner (long after) when the griddle is cool enough to remove, voila! I have nice clean grill grates. Not spotless, mind you, but certainly much, much cleaner than before dinner. Please note that I use them on my gasser mostly, which is where the reverse sear usually takes place, not over lump, but I can't imagine it would make much difference as long as it's good heat.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Grillgrates recommends against using cast iron on top of the aluminum grates - it can cause them to warp due to trapped heat reaching temps above what is safe for aluminum, and due to the difference in temperature rise/fall rate in the two metals. Glad it is working for you, but I put my original Weber grates back when using cast iron on my gasser.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here