Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaction to the PitCast Episode 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaction to the PitCast Episode 25

Do you agree with my take on technology the skill of running fire management and do you think Guy Fieri should be in the BBQ Hall of Fame?

I like Guy, but LOL!

Comment

He belongs in the bleached hair hall of shame, thats about it.

Comment

Have to listen when I get home, but a few preemptive thoughts.

​​​1. Technology, fire management, use what you like and call it what you like.

2. Never watched the Guy dude. BBQ Hall of Fame to me is like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame- no idea who is in it, how they got in it, and who should or shouldn't be in it

Comment

Guy in the hall of fame is cringe worthy. I agree with you on the show saying that they should have paid him to MC the event not induct him into the hall of fame.

On the upside it seems that they changed their attitude to this category considering the people they inducted in the years to follow:

2012: Guy Fieri
          2013: Adam Perry Lang
          2014: Ray Lampe
          2015: Steven Raichlen
          2016: Ardie Davis

Comment

The tech vs fire management rant sounds like similar ones I've heard from people in the brewing industry. You can have all the bells and whistles you like but you still need to know the basics.

As for Guy, *oye*. I'm also anti-category. The Hall should be for people who have made a significant contribution (pitmaster, owner, journalist, whatever) to BBQ. Bobby Flay I would have no issue with. His shows in the early 2000s got me into cooking because he made it fun and interesting. I wanted to cook, grill, smoke and learn more.

I'm not saying Guy can't cook but a BBQ HoF is not a place for him. Surprised Food Network hasn't tried to sponsor a wing for all of their chefs to be.

Comment

He wouldn't be in my top 30 list of BBQ pitmasters if I had to name 30. Of course, I only know what the media shows me about him, and that is that he likes to travel and eat large sandwiches and omelets at little dive joints throughout the USA. Who knows what other contributions he's made and skills he possesses that aren't portrayed in his show(s). He might give David Parrish a run for his money in a side by side BBQ cookoff. Come to think of it, let's make that happen....

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                He wouldn't be in my top 30 list of BBQ pitmasters if I had to name 30. Of course, I only know what the media shows me about him, and that is that he likes to travel and eat large sandwiches and omelets at little dive joints throughout the USA. Who knows what other contributions he's made and skills he possesses that aren't portrayed in his show(s). He might give David Parrish a run for his money in a side by side BBQ cookoff. Come to think of it, let's make that happen....
                I think he'd need to get through you first before he sees me at the finals.

Comment

Guy is an outstanding cook & quite the personality. Chef? Don't know enough about him in that category vs. Bobby Flay or Michael Symon. Those two are iron chefs & that means a ton to me. But BBQ hall of fame? That does raise an eye brow.
                  I guess what the question is, what is the criteria that one is being judged, that would get one considered to be placed in such a club.
                  After further thought, one has to wonder if the Champions of BBQ are serious about the honor or are they acting out as school children and participating in the whims of just popularity. Then, what do "they" do to really give the award some luster? The water is already under the bridge.
                  I do agree on shaking my head at the tech explosion. The simplicity of live fire management seems to be falling by the wayside to dials, gadgets, & smart phones. I did see a commercial the other day that you could brush your teeth with this electric tooth brush & your smart phone. That's not for me, but, others? To each his own. What ever trips your trigger.(metaphorically speaking)
                  Last edited by FireMan; October 18, 2016, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Question, if you now know what it takes to get in the BBQ hall of fame, would you go if you were nominated?
                    In this day & age of correctness, I am not speaking of You, whoever you is, I'm speaking of ya'll.

Comment

Tech...👍👍👍

I learned to use my large BGE for long overnight low and slow cooks long before I understood these gadgets and what they were for. Then I bought a DigiQ Dx2. Now I wouldn't do a long cook without it. Could i? Yes. But why would I be so foolish.😎

Comment

To be concise: "No" ... and "No" ...

Comment

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What he said!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here