Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 24 - October 6th, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 24 - October 6th, 2016

In this Episode: I hit the news desk, we get a Pit Club update, we look ahead to the weekend and get an "In-Depth" look at the new SMOKE remote Thermometer from Thermoworks.

Nice show Greg, and nice interview again with Pit Boss. Thermoworks Smoke talk with Pit Boss Dave begins at ~17:24

Aside from minor, perhaps petty quibbles I see (but important to me in how I use my thermometers), the Smoke sure looks like a great player, and most likely the new 1st place batter in the remote thermometer world.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You have a waterproof soap box?

FINALLY get to kick back and catch one of these. 4 weeks of training OVER!!!! Fly back home tomorrow before this Hurricane jacks with my travel plans.

Comment

Ha! Just out of curiosity, how in the world does one get themselves banned for life from a BBQ sanctioning body?

Comment

Also one thing to note, the Maverick probes react to temp changes much quicker than 40 seconds. They may take 40 sec to recognize a lost signal, but as far as temp changes (taking lid off your grill, waiting for the Mav to read the change) I'd put that at ~10 sec or less. (I just timed mine, and it read the change in 9 sec).

Comment

Craigar , here is the answer from a trusted Texas source (No names please)

Long Story somewhat short - little History - Justin has been on the case of the new IBCA BOD since they have become proactive the last couple of years. He was especially upset at the can't turn brisket in Fat Side Up rule change mid-year last year. He of course use to cook fat side up and apparently turn it in that way. There have been a couple of other issues as well.

I did not see this go down but heard about it from several people. Anyway, at Turn-n-Burn last year Justin was leaving after the cook off and then 2 guys were beating on his RV as he was leaving. He opened the window words were said and one of the guys took a swing at him and apparently hit him.

He stopped the RV got a knife sharpener I am told (the round kind) and went outside to go beat their ass. I think calmer heads prevailed or someone got in the middle of it and took the harassers away. Anyway Justin got banned from IBCA for life. This means he can't be a member but you don't have to be a member to cook in a cook off. The other two guys - one was a BOD member that had to resign and not sure if the 3rd person got anything.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! Rough crowd that IBCA bunch. I jest. Thanks for the chuckle!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          Also one thing to note, the Maverick probes react to temp changes much quicker than 40 seconds. They may take 40 sec to recognize a lost signal, but as far as temp changes (taking lid off your grill, waiting for the Mav to read the change) I'd put that at ~10 sec or less. (I just timed mine, and it read the change in 9 sec).
          From room temperature to the temp of the steak, which was about 72 F to around 130 F, the Maverick we tested consistently needed 40 seconds to get within 1 degree of its final indicated temp. It may have started changing temp pretty quickly (as in moving up from 72 F), but it was 40 seconds before it settled in on the temp of the meat.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotcha, as an instant read it's 40 sec. Word.

Fight fight fight!!

Comment

I have been using the Maverick for 2 1/2 years and sometimes I used 4 at one time with one smoker. Only had one probe go bad but I had a spare so I really don't see paying the extra bucks for the Smoke. BTW...I bet I can probably program the Maverick faster as many times as I have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              I have been using the Maverick for 2 1/2 years and sometimes I used 4 at one time with one smoker. Only had one probe go bad but I had a spare so I really don't see paying the extra bucks for the Smoke. BTW...I bet I can probably program the Maverick faster as many times as I have done it.
              Like we've said for years, the Mav ET-732 is a great thermometer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here