Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Scale Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a cheapy from Amazon, goes up to 22lbs (whcih was harder to find, they all want to stop at 9 or 11lbs), because I wanted to be able to weigh briskets. I love it!

However there's a big "but" -- what I've learned the hard way because I am new to kitchen scales -- get one with a detachable face/control panel! I wish I had done that. Unless you're only ever weighing small items with small footprints.

Comment

Here is where I ended up.....the Taylor for big stuff. I followed a recommendation here about getting an adapter. I also like the tilted screen for when I use bigger/wider bowls. The T2 for smaller items like yeast, etc. thanks for all you input!

Click image for larger version

Name:	53408B0B-235B-4896-8A8D-F887CFC661B7.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	989269

Comment

I just took delivery of a 22lb capacity OXO scale with lighted, pullout display. I'll be giving my 11lb OXO scale to one of our daughters. I've use the 11lb for years, but as Huskee says, it's no good for weighing briskets, for example. I got the scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, using a 20% discount coupon and got free shipping.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	OXO 22 lb scale.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	991512

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! That one sure seems like the perfect scale, 22 lb capacity and pull out display. One of my biggest oversights when I got mine was no pull out display.

I think it's best to watch a video about this

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are for real, I apologize in advance, but we get a lot of spammers trying to sneak in by posting on old threads. So, if you are truly interested in what this site has to offer because you like to grill and/or BBQ, welcome and tell us what you are cooking on and what you like to cook.

Serious Eats suggests the OXO

Comment

I recently received my scales from amazon (I ordered them here https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautifu.../dp/B08SW6F5SZ) and to be honest, I am very glad that I finally bought myself a kitchen scale. I can now cook my own food in portions and eat as much as I need, according to my diet. In addition, the kitchen scales help me a lot when I cook some new dishes. I am a big fan of Japanese cuisine and it is very important to weigh the ingredients clearly there, so the kitchen scales help me here. But it is very important to check their calibration and functionality when buying kitchen scales. I know cases when people were not happy with their purchase and they just put them on the top shelf and never used them.
          Last edited by JonsPul; August 3, 2021, 02:43 AM.

Comment

And here I am thinking I was a bit weird for weighing my briskets. That said, it does help with getting the pastrami curing accurate, and definitely essential for grinding sausage so you can get the right mix of fat and meat. I didn't realize about the pull out displays though. That would have been a cool add for my cheapy ($12?).

Last edited by STEbbq; July 30, 2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonsPul View Post
              My kitchen scales also died recently, I'm looking for something new
              The OXO scale has a lot going for it, as Old Glory mentioned. But don't get the 11 lb one. It is not big enough for packer briskets and other larger items that you'll end up using a good scale for. Buy the 22lb capacity one that I noted on this topic back in February. You won't regret going bigger with your choice.

I got my 22lb capacity OXO scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond,using a 20% discount coupon and got free shipping.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	OXO 22 lb scale.jpg Views:	49 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	991512​
              It's out of stock at BB&B now, but googling may give you a bead on a vendor.

It's a great scale if you can find one.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; July 30, 2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the same one I have been using for a couple of years, and I'm very happy with it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here