Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Meat Slicer Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Meat Slicer Recommendation

Hi Folks!

Hope everyone's New Year is going well!

I am looking to get a meat slicer and need some recommendations. Hope this is the correct channel, couldn't figure out the best channel for it :P

I am looking for something that is easy to clean. Additionally, how do you sharpen the blades, do you take somewhere or is it something that is replaced over time.

Thanks!

I picked up a Beswood 10" 240 watt slicer last year on Amazon, and couldn't be happier. Powers through everything I have thrown at it, meat, cheese, and vegetables (lettuce, cabbage). As with all slicers, clean up can be a pain, but this one isn't to bad and most of the parts are designed to come off quickly and easily to keep it simple. There is a sharpener at the top of the slicer that you can use when you need to touch up the blade, which I do every couple of uses to keep it in good shape.

Comment

• NCSmokin
      NCSmokin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks dgod !! I have been searching and will take a look at that one. Biggest thing I slice is bacon. Currently using filet knife which works but takes time. Have been doin deli roast beef and based on how much family likes it need a good way to get it sliced quickly.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      That has been on my list too. Thanks for the recommendation.

I would look on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and try to find a good, used commercial unit. Brands like Berkel, Hobart, Globe, and Bizeirba are some of the brands you want to look for. With a bit of patience you can find those for $200-400. Definitely worth it to get a commercial model vs. the small home slicers if you are looking to do any sort of volume.

As far as sharpening many of the commercial models come with built in sharpeners but occasionally I have taken mine to a guy in town who sharpens knives and he does a great job. New blades can cost more than I paid for the slicer.

Comment

• NCSmokin
      NCSmokin commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this idea. I have a 1940 American Slicing Machine with an 8" blade. I had to basically disassemble it and clean the components but now it works fine and slices anything.

I just got a Walton's 10" slicer yesterday and sliced 10 pounds of bacon last night. It has a built in sharpener that I of course have not used yet. One thing to keep in mind is how much travel the sliding tray has. Does it go back far enough to fit a pork belly in? My old cheap home slicer was not even close, I had to try to raise the back of the pork belly so I could get it started or else cut it in half across the width. My new one has more travel and works much better for that although if you get a wide pork belly or brisket it may still be an issue.

Comment

• NCSmokin
      NCSmokin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!! Will check it out.

• NCSmokin
      NCSmokin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for turning me onto Waltons, lots if cool stuff!

• stoews1979
      stoews1979 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I can't spend very long looking...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here