Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean off competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean off competition

Compared goo gone, gps 66, simple green, 409 and "super clean"

Thats the order they finished in. goo gone really powerful, good foaming, dangerous to use on stone, aluminum, etc.
    next two about the same.
    last two not so much.

Any others you like much better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB627047-5DA6-49DB-A3F8-470799841815.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	895250 Here they are. That’s a steam tool in the back Love to use that at the end

Comment

What exactly are you cleaning? Sort of related, but I found out a few years ago (after parking too close to some pine trees one day) that the original orange Goo Gone does an amazing job of removing tree sap from vehicles without damaging the paint. Literally wipes right off with a paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
        What exactly are you cleaning? Sort of related, but I found out a few years ago (after parking too close to some pine trees one day) that the original orange Goo Gone does an amazing job of removing tree sap from vehicles without damaging the paint. Literally wipes right off with a paper towel.
        I am mainly cleaning the grates and greasy interior surfaces. The exteriors are easy to clean with many products. The original goo gone is great but this stuff is pretty caustic. Enough so that they caution you to avoid aluminum and stone... yike, it dissolves rocks. (ok, Hcl makes short work of limestone). Its active ingredients are Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether and Poly(oxy-1, 2-ethanediyl), alpha-undecyl-omega-hydroxy. I am guessing those aren't good for you.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, when I saw that it is oven cleaner I knew that was a lot different than the original. Anyway, my electric pressure washer is what I use instead of any chemicals. That and my newly acquired CharGon scraper, followed by wiping down with a paper towel.

Simple Green or Traeger's All Natural Grill Cleaner are the only things I've ever sprayed inside of a grill and I don't really even like doing that very well so I usually do a really hot burn after I use them. Normally, I try to let heat do most of the hard work and then just scrape with a plastic putty knife and a rag.

I haven't tried the Grill Blazer for cleaning yet though, that could be fun. It sure will light a pile of charcoal quickly.

Comment

Cook's Illustrated has a DIY Goo Gone recipe. I have no experience with it and I'm not sure it's up to the grill cleaning task, but at least it won't take your fingerprints with the goo.

Comment

I just throw my kettle grates in my gasser, turn it up on "hot as the sun" and bake the grime off. Then just scrape down the inside of the kettle bowls with a 2” brass putty knife.

Comment

• fracmeister
              fracmeister commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...dalType=drawer you can get online. sizes up to 32" al or plastic

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the Plumber's Choice 30 inch one, Dadof3Illinois . (Link in fracmeister's post)

It works nicely for my 24" WSCGC grate.

K.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; August 14, 2020, 06:25 AM.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep...whatever doesn’t get obliterated by the heat can eventually be blasted off by the pressure washer. The only chemicals that go inside my cookers are edible.

My goto is a combo of these:
            1. Wire wheels, either wire or brass depending on the surface
            2. Citrus based cleaner like Zep’s
            3. Water to rinse.
            4. Oil to re-season.

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	479F98CE-7B0B-4229-A6C7-5629B79AB88D.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	895579

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here