Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to ask for on Father’s Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to ask for on Father’s Day

Mrs. Omegadog told me that I can have a new barbecue toy of my choice for Father’s Day and she will buy it-no questions asked or protests made. I’ve been told that a another grill or smoker is a no-go. I was thinking of a Vortex (because of @Troutman’s Pollo Asado recipe), but I thought that I would ask The Pit members for suggestions. I already have a Thermapen, a Smobot, and a XR50. All suggestions will be appreciated!
    The OmegaDog

Jess Pryles???

Hey, wife's th one who said no grills / smokers...

Comment

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Love this!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Geeze I'd just settle on Jess' skill set and celebrity.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      She's a couple of grades above my abilities.

You mentioned vortex, so you have a Kettle? Answer yes, Slow and Sear should be concidered. Actually shoot for both.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I use both of those on my Jumbo Joe when not cooking on my BGE. I love the way the Vortex does wings and the snake method, and like the fact that I can uae the the SlowNSear to cook an entire meal for my wife and me.

Vortex is a ton of fun and does high heat in the kettle better than anything else ive found. Thats what id go with if i didnt have one already.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I know right? Last cook it was 105* outside (heat index), fired up the Vortex in my Weber 22" with a full load of coals, vents wide open and I came out and flames were shooting 8-10" into the air. No joke, should of taken a picture. Anyway, closed the lid for 5 minutes to get the meat, came out and temp'd the thing with my thermo gun at around 720*. Had to actually close vents somewhat to contain the raging inferno. That little device is dangerous !!!

A Fireboard, or a pizza stone or peel? A Santa Maria attachment for the Weber? A book like Salt, Fat, Heat, and Acid? A bag or two of primo charcoal like Jealous Devil? a new set of brisket knives? A nice new cutting board with your name engraved on it?
    Last edited by STEbbq; June 9, 2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thermostatic control?...

Comment

A new Fireboard 2, Vortex, if you would use it, I really like to read, so I like to get a new BBQ book, Raichlen has a new one out or Franklin's.

Comment

New bbq toy, no questions asked, no protests, but no new smoker?!? The vortex is a great kettle accessory but part of that greatness is how cheap it is. I’d just get the vortex and not use it as a gift. I’d go for SnS, DnG, and easy spin grate. The SnS is more of a game changer for the kettle than the vortex even though what the vortex does for chicken is outstanding.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Good Plan, Brother!
            Th Bundle!!!!
            Spring fer th vortex outta allowance money!

Try this: https://www.hocho-knife.com/takeshi-...iABEgIdjvD_BwE

... and suddenly a new smoker or grill won’t look so bad after all. 😎

Comment

• Sam6687
            Sam6687 commented
            Editing a comment
            for that price, it better do the dicing and slicing for you.

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! If that showed up in the box, there would be NO Mrs. Omegadog, but I just gotta admire your tastes!!

Gotta go with the SnS if you don’t have one. Then maybe a Kitchen aid or vitamix professional. Perhaps some attachments like a grinder, chamber Vac sealer, Anova, cambros of various sizes, stick Blender are useful and cheap, cast iron like a Smithy or Finex. How about a SRF Gold brisket Or some A5 Wagyu.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang good suggestions, Brother!

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta like all those suggestions, but I already have a SnS and an Anova. Right now, the SRF brisket is probably at the top of the list and THANKS!
            The OmegaDog

Everyone has some awesome thoughts.....I guess my top two items would be the new Fireboard 2 with the built in fan drive or a Boos Cutting Board!!

Comment

Get a Blackstone or Campchef griddle! It’s not a new ‘grill or smoker’ technically....

Actually, if you have a gas grill, a griddle to go on your gasser might be something nice to cook on outside. I;ve got a thread going about griddles, and one option is a griddle to go on my Weber gas grill.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              "Technically" Nice! MCS much?

I just ask for forgiveness for the stupid things I'm going to do for the next 364 days....
            Wouldn't mind some pecan smoking chips/chunks, hard to find up in this neck of the woods.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Bwahahaha

• OmegaDog12
              OmegaDog12 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pecan is very common here in South Carolina. PM your address and SantaDog might send you some!
              Last edited by OmegaDog12; June 10, 2020, 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

No dude, forget all that other junk. THIS is what I'm getting for Father's Day. Satisfies me on SO many different levels .....GrillBlazer.com

Comment

I do not ask for anything. I get cards from my kids, and their kids (my grandkids) will make cards. My wife, happy fathers day. I'm the same. In past Moms day I forgot it was the big day. Mid afternoon she reminded me. No big deal. She wants something she gets it, same on my side. Guess that is what 47 years of marriage gets you. Same for birthdays and holidays.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here