Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Washer Recommendations--Cheap and Peppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all, DavidNorcross , tbob4 , ScottyC13 , jfmorris , jlazar , Bobby Q's , surfdog , MBMorgan , ssandy_561 , Troutman , smokin fool , ComfortablyNumb , JoeSousa , and lostclusters for your input and advice.

From your comments I think I'll be narrowing my search to something in the 1600psi range, electric, and easily mobile. I'll pop into Lowe's and Ace Hardware the next time I head into big box store civilization.

I really appreciate all the tips and recommendations.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 7, 2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      How about one more suggestion? Check your local rental yard and see what they have available and rent before you invest. Or ask a friend or neighbour who has one if you can 'play' with it.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's brilliant, ComfortablyNumb. Thanks!

K.

Overall score

Add to Compare

DeWaltDXPW3425 Price: $600
    Shop

DeWalt  DXPW3425

Overall score

Add to Compare

RyobiRY803111 Price: $470
    Shop

Ryobi  RY803111

Overall score

Add to Compare

Generac10000006882 Price: $350
    Shop

Generac  10000006882

Overall score

Add to Compare

SimpsonMS60763-S Price: $320
    Shop

Simpson  MS60763-S

Overall score

Add to Compare

Predator62214 Price: $370
    Shop

Predator  62214

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Simpson makes the DeWalt power washers.

Electric Powered
    Overall score

Add to Compare

Craftsman99016 Best Buy
    Price: $140
    Shop

Craftsman  99016

Overall score

Add to Compare

GreenWorksGPW1951 Best Buy
    Price: $190
    Shop

GreenWorks  GPW1951

Overall score

Add to Compare

AR Blue CleanAR390SS Price: $230
    Shop

AR Blue Clean  AR390SS

Overall score

Add to Compare

Sun JoeSPX3000 Price: $170
    Shop

Sun Joe  SPX3000

Overall score

Add to Compare

GreenWorksGPW2000 Price: $200
    Shop

GreenWorks  GPW2000

Overall score

Add to Compare

AR Blue CleanAR383 Price: $190
    Shop

AR Blue Clean  AR383

Comment

fzxdoc Be careful. Power washing is addictive and hypnotizing. After you finish one thing, you’ll want to do other areas and suddenly the sun goes down!

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Or worse...open up a can o’ worms.
        Years ago whilst cleaning my gasser I blasted a couple of things on the concrete. Cool, those spots were gone.
        And then everything dried...
        I went outside and everywhere on the patio and walkway that I had carelessly sprayed was bright clean concrete...the rest was dull grey.
        I set about power washing the entire patio and walkway back up to the front gate. LOL
        Lesson learned. Only point it at what you really want clean or are prepared to finish cleaning

I've been happy with the 1700 psi electric washer from AR Blue Clean. It's reasonably small, light, and easy to store. I bought it on sale from my local hardware store, but Home Depot sells this brand (https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors...5yc1vZbxbeZ9pw )

I store it in an indoor area, so it never freezes, otherwise it needs to be winterized before freezing weather. I wasn't sure when I got it how much I'd use it, but I've found all sorts of chores for it. Cleaning decks, wood fences, concrete patio, our skid steer, cars, horse trailer, boat interior and exterior, house siding, windows, blowing and cleaning rain gutters, etc. Oh and the grills and cookers. It can also be used as an impromptu leaf blower to blow leaves and debris off the rough limestone footpaths in my flower garden. Cleaning bird sh*t, cobwebs, and general dirt in the barn and other outdoor buildings.

At 1700 psi, it's got enough power to clean well, but not so much pressure that it is overly destructive. If the spray is adjusted to a pencil stream, it will eat through wood and other softer materials, however. So I always start with a wide fan spray and see how that works and adjust from there.

I do have a scar on my wrist from one time years ago when I was stupid enough to put my wrist in front of the spray, so I try to stay aware of working safe and wear safety goggles.
      Last edited by IowaGirl; February 7, 2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I think most folks who have used them have a scar or two.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips. Thanks!

Kathryn

For grate cleaning = one that is easily stored and retrieved, not too heavy, easily assembled and hooked up to water = electric. That means 1 hp equivalent and 2000 psi. I have this one.

For effective deck, siding, and concrete cleaning = 4000 psi plus, 3 to 4 gpm; heavy, difficult to maneuver but longer hose, large footprint to store, will find it not used for grate cleaning because of the level of effort to retrieve and hook it up = 8 to 12 hp gasoline engine powered unit. I have a 12 hp similar to this.

I will pull the little one out when I really need one. I rarely pull the big one out simply because it is too much trouble. The big one gets used once per year. The little one 6 to 8.

Comment

If you aren't going to use it often I'd suggest an electric unit. Few of them can compare to an engine model, but you won't have the problems that engine things do when not used much. I'm on my 2nd Karcher, the first one I stored too close to the garage door and hadn't fully purged it, so the pump froze. I slightly upgraded in 2016 and have been happy with the Karcher K5 Premium 2000 PSI. I will say that with a 2 story house, I still pay a guy to professionally pressure wash every other year. I use mine on my driveway, the siding around my grill space, on my grill itself, my deck, my riding mower, and my cars and have been really happy with it.

I do have the deck and driveway attachment which makes a difference. Karcher and some other brands also have a high speed head which really amps up the pressure for certain applications.
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 7, 2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Worx Hydroshot!

https://www.worx.com/portable-power-...SAAEgL4u_D_BwE

Comment

I have a 2400psi Craftsman gas and a 1300 psi Coleman electric. Both do a good enough job. But this surface cleaner attachment saves hours of cleaning on the pool slab, driveway and sidewalks.

Comment

This applies to electric power washers, gas power washers, and smokers. I have never met anyone who said I wish I had bought the smaller size.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Flat screen TV's also!

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a second pressure washer, electric from Costco because of the return policy, just because I would/will use it a lot more compared to the gasoline one I have. BUT have you tried cleaning your s.s. grills with the sanding sponges? They are for smoothing out dry wall. The pressure created by the sponge part means you can put it between the grill rods and it cleans both sides. I don't know what grit I have but probably not too course, medium or fine grit. Quick, fast, dirty, what more could you ask for?

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't tried that. For sure I wouldn't use it on the grill itself, since Weber says "no abrasives", but it might work on the grates. Usually I just burn the stuff off my grates. I wanted a pressure washer for deep cleaning on them from time to time.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kathryn

What I bought to clean my grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15812184376282006924308.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	801146

Comment

I can recommend you to use Niflisk C 110 4-5 PC Xtra. I've bought it one year ago and use it to wash my car as well as a house (patio, windows, garden furniture and so on). Very nice thing. It is easy in usage and has the auto start-stop to control the water waste.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, jimmybin . I'm not sure the Niflisk is available in the US, but I compared its specs to the ones I've narrowed my search down to, and it looks like they're all in the same range, which is good. That auto start-stop feature is a good idea.

Kathryn

I have a nice power washer with a Honda gas engine.... but u still soak the grates in some cleaner over night, then load them up and take them to the car wash to finish cleaning. Then I can wash my truck too...ha

Comment

Power washing has us an insight on so many things that we fail to understand.

<spam link removed by Huskee>

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Power washing has indeed enlightened us on so many things we failed to understand. Like hard to remove dirt. Be one with the dirt.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here