Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dry aging using UMAI bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry aging using UMAI bags

does any body have any experience using the UMAI bags (http://www.drybagsteak.com/) ? If so, what was your experience?

Not yet, but I'm planning to.

Comment

Yes, I have used their product to dry age boneless rib-eyes. All have been done for 30 days +/- a day or two. First one was cooked as a "prime rib for Christmas dinner and was very well received. Have done 2 more since that were eventually cut into 1 1/2" - 2" steaks. Flavor and tenderness both awesome!!!! I was never much a believer in dry aging as I was once gifted some aged steaks from a "well known" Nebraska steak supplier that were downright mushy & tasteless. For years I thought dry aged was highly over-rated. I am now a convert. Have my 4th rib-eye in the fridge now. I start with choice boneless whole rib-eyes when they are on sale at Sam's or Fareway. Contrary to some reviews, I have had no problems with the vacuum seal process though I do have a fair bit of experience with vacuum sealers & understand the process so maybe that helps. It will be rare occurrence that an "un-aged" steak hits my grill from now on! Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

I've been following the Umai bags for a while also. I just bought a vacuum sealer just so I could buy those bags for dry aging. Hopefully I'll be searing some dry aged steaks very soon!

Comment

Just bought a couple packets to experiment with....

Comment

We have asked Dr. Mata, the beef scientist, to evaluate this and other methods for us. Stay tuned.

Comment

Bump for an update

Comment

Took a first pass at creating Copa. It was pretty easy to do. I had a great butcher who trimmed the pork shoulder for me. Though next time I would do it myself. It took about about month or so. The weight loss is the indicator when it's done--40% loss of weight.
                It was pretty good--as in 500g lasted about week. I would spice it differently, More paprika might even try cayenne to give it a kick. I would trim more fat off.

Some things that are not mentioned, this takes space in the fridge, I would recommend using the beer fridge. Especially anything bigger than part of pork shoulder.

They give you the cures and a couple of bags. You can make a couple of times.

Next up list--Rib Eyes.

This guy helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqYdUtNyN4
                Last edited by ramzi; July 7, 2015, 11:32 AM. Reason: added Youtube link

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here