Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A crazy-simple outdoor table idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A crazy-simple outdoor table idea

I have this portable camping table that I use next to my grill. It works quite well, but it is a bit of a pain to keep taking in and out for each grilling session (it wouldn't last exposed to the elements).

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	749055

I'd like something permanent. I don't need an outdoor prep-table; I'll do all of that work indoors. I just want something to set things on (similar to what is shown in the photo).

So I went shopping for outdoor tables. Wow, those things are a, uh, little pricey! I started thinking what I could construct myself and I hit upon the idea of using cinderblocks.

I could stack two groups of five 8x8x16 cinderblocks atop on another a foot or so apart to provide the "legs" of a bench that would be 40" high. But what to use for the top? Granite or marble slabs are a little out of my price range.

It then hit me. What about a full-size sheet pan (26x18")? While not large, that is about what I am working with right now. It would slide around a bit, but I could engineering something -- perhaps some garden stakes that would go into the cinderblock holes to steady/lock it in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 11.03.27 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	749056

Interesting thing about the sheetpan-for-a-top idea, I could take that inside, keeping it out of the elements. Might even use it to carry my other grilling stuff outside and back inside each session.

Hmm...total cost for this idea would be probably less than $40.

Put a couple slots in the pan and fit them over the garden stakes so the pan won’t slide...

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That might work, these pans are aluminum, so not that hard.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael_in_TX a couple beers on Sat night and I become brilliant
      Last edited by klflowers; September 28, 2019, 10:32 PM.

You could make a table top out of composite decking board. Depending on the size you might have to add some support underneath.

Comment

Not a bad idea. But I would count on 2 sheet pans. I use one for meat and one for veggies/fruit. Oh, and you will want a third for eating out in your new outdoor kitchen or deck with plates, silverware and service pieces.

Comment

I made a cute lil adirondack side table, fer in (what was) my Man Cave, several years back...it is all 1 x 4 construct, thinkin of makin a larger, taller version from treated 2 x 4 (Yellawood) fer outdoors, at least 24" x 36", mebbe 48"...

I got a front door stoop I made, nigh onto ten years ago, from yellawood, it's still jus fine...

I have a marked tendency to severely over-engineer/overbuild stuff, like my (former) workbench, in my garage...top is 27" x 65"....despite th legs havin no lateral, or diagonal bracin, I've had two Chevy small blocks on there, (~1000 lbs.~) at once, an even then, directly, deliberately applied force could mebbe make it move ~ 1/8"

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190928_232043 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	532.8 KB ID:	749092
        One might think there's only 12 o them 4" Exterior deck screws holdin this poor lil ol corner together, if one didn't know bout th other 6 comin from inside th leg... Yup, I know, OCD, lol!!!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20190928_232102 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	402.7 KB ID:	749093
        Top is 12" oc, doubled up in th middle... flakeboard top was handy, an free, but'd never last outdoors..never was meant to, of course...

But, if I made same same to suitable size, fer outdoors, outta yellawood, with a proper top, why, it'd most likely outlast me...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 29, 2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          305, or 350's? Ohhhhhh I bet your a 400 man.

I agree with Mr. Bones that we can over engineer things. My work benches in my basement are built like his and they are crazy sturdy but really heavy.

I recently built a stand to practice my golf swing on and I went with 1 x 3 bracing and 1/2” plywood. It is not a table, but I can stand on it with little flex, and it is pretty light. Once you assemble the top, the table would be pretty sturdy.

Comment

I think its already been done. Weber Performer Platinum 22.5-in Black Porcelain-Enameled Kettle Charcoal Grill
          Last edited by HawkerXP; September 29, 2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Ba dum bum! Tsss!

Another idea, (or two):

Use the blocks for the base and buy one piece of Trex, (or something similar) and cut two cross pieces to lay on top of the blocks and then cut the number of pieces for the top that you need. It would be more stable if you screwed the top boards to the cross pieces. This would not have to come inside.

If you go with the sheet pan, get some non slip shelf liner to put on top of the blocks to hold the pan in place. And you could use a full size pan if you need more space.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            I will look into the decking idea. Excellent idea on the shelf liner for the sheet pan idea.

Could mount a piece of treated plywood or boards to the blocks but cut out an exact side hole(s) for your sheet pans. They won’t move around and they are removable.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm...also an idea. I might even have some treated plywood our in the garage. Some deck paint on it and I'd have a resilient surface.

Oh, man, I lived for too many years with starving-student decor, including the inevitable cinder block bookshelves.

I'd rather build something out of 2x4s before I'd do cinder blocks again. Also I sometimes move things around on my deck to deal with the wind. A 2x4 table can be shoved around. A cinder block table ... not so much.

Another possibility -- Turn the sheet pan over and put the upside-down pan over the legs. The sides of the pan will then keep it from sliding off the legs. You could put a second sheet pan over the upended one if you want upright sides to keep ingredients corralled.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea!

K.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here