Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you cutting with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still using my cheap wally world ones from our wedding back in '02. I'd like a nice brisket trimming knife though. Never been a knife carer abouter. I'm quite sure I don't know what I'm missing.

Comment

Baking soda for sure. Great color, makes people think its much more pure than it is...

Comment

Japanese knives are the way to go for sure. A little less sturdy so you can't bang them around, but man are they fun to cut with. My first was a Shun 8" santoku - a great introduction to Japanese knives. They are sturdier than most and very high quality. My main chef's knife now is a Takeda 240mm. It is a beautiful beast, and keeps a hair shaving edge even after a year of regular use:

I also love this Chinese bone chopper (weighs about 3 pounds):

And Japanese bread knife / brisket sword (made by Tojiro):

For those who like to browse (and buy) Japanese knives, these are two great websites. The owners are super responsive and helpful:

Chef Knives To Go offers unmatched selection of kitchen knives! We are committed to bringing you unique knives and sharpening stones from a wide range of makers from around the world. Stay Sharp! Mark Richmond

The coolest place for Japanese kitchen knives and sharpening stones in LA... also, part time chef hang out spot ;)

Comment

Here's what Cook's Illustrated recommends:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/buy...mo-20&atc=wecA

I copied and pasted from the web page. So, it should be an accurate link. It worked for me, but if you should have a problem, let me know.

George

Comment

I forget what thread I was reading but Meathead said in that thread that the Rapala filet knife was one of his favorite knives. He said its so inexpensive he uses it until it gets dull and he discards it and buys another one. I've been using these knives for 45 years myself. I started using them when I was fishing the Cowlitz river in Washington state for salmon and steelhead. That river has the largest salmon/steelhead hatchery in the world on it. Providing huge runs of fish.😁

Rapala® fillet knives are the ones that taught the world to fillet. These renowned fish fillet knives are made of premium steel and razor-sharp blades.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Love fishing the Cowlitz. Although these days I mostly do some trout fishing up around Twisp every summer

I use a set of Henkels 4 star that I bought almost 20 years ago. I have tried some other brands, but keep coming back to the Henkels because of their balanced feel and ability to hold an edge. I also work with wood, so have lots of sharpening devices available! I usually take the knives down to the shop about once per month to work up a good edge on first a 1500 grit then a 2500 grit oil stone then finish with a strop dressed with aluminum oxide as an abrasive. I keep a 2500 grit diamond stone in the kitchen for touch-ups between sharpening so and a steel to dress the edge as necessary. I did add some Cutco pieces to the set, but find that I just don't care for serrated knives, though their fillet knife works well, now that I have gotten a good edge on it. Lately I have been getting some lessons from my favorite Sushi chef - he spends 15 minutes every day with a Japanese water stone keeping his knife sharp!!!

Comment

Plenty of accolades for the German and Japanese knifes. But for my money,nothing beats a good old Rapala filet knife. Sharp as a straight razor and flexable enough to contour anything they throw at you !

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto that, WhenPigsFly ! I love my Rapala.

Kathryn

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
              Maybe knife talk is over rated but what are you cutting with and why? I like heavy german steel but have never really tried anything else. Well other than a 30 year old set of Chicago cutlery that is like the energizer bunny... : ) Not to mention is heavy american steel, I think?
              I have a 45 year old Chicago cutlery boning knife that I have had since I was a meat cutter at A & P as a college student use if every day at my retirement job as a cook in a little bar/grill. Still cutting strong.

Comment

I bought a set of 6 Pure Komachi HD knives today at Costco for $19.95. They are Coated Carbon Stailess Steel and are very, very sharp. Each comes with its own sheath. That's $3.33 per knife. I'll use them until they get dull and buy another set.😎

http://www.costco.com/Pure-Komachi-H...100226013.html

Comment

I was given a set of Giesser Duo knives and a couple of other Giesser Messers 10 years ago that do their job pretty well.
                  Recently I felt the need to add a larger chefs knife and got the IKEA Slitbar damascus steel knife which turned out to be a lot better than expected considering the price. Well worth a look for anyone needing a large knife.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here