Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaker For Dry Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaker For Dry Rub

Do y’all have any recommendations on a good shaker that has big enough holes in the lid to use coarse ground pepper and other big spice pieces?

I use canning jars. I poke holes in one lid as big as I want them then I use another lid to seal it up. I believe I saw this on Good Eats.

Comment

I use my fingers best control ever invented by God and easiest to use and clean.

Comment

I use the empty shaker containers the spices come in. Like a Kroger red pepper flakes container. Has good size holes so the rub can easily be poured.

I also bought a canister of sprinklers - which I subsequently threw away - because it had three different size opening. It works pretty good.

Comment

If they holes aren’t big enough I just drill them out to whatever size I need.

Comment

I have so many empty ones from various store bought rubs.

Comment

Comment

This is what I use.

Comment

My wife found some shaker lids for mason jars, they work pretty well.

Comment

It's been suggested here before to use the lid from a Parmesan cheese container. It will screw onto a mason jar. Save the shakers from spices you purchase and reuse for your homemade rubs.

Comment

This is what I use. I got mine from my local cash and carry.

Comment

I use the empty container from Costco black pepper. I have 1 labeled beef (BBBR) and one labeled BBQ (Memphis Meat Dust).

Comment

Here you go. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01131ERM6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Comment

I too am in the camp of recycling used spice and seasoning containers like McCormick’s. Some have pretty big holes.

I usually keep rubs like MMD and such in mason jars and then fill an empty container when I need to use it.

If you you can find the screw on kids for mason jars then those work well too.

If for some reason aesthetics are something you are worried about then something like what Randy-Phx posted would work.

Comment

How about those shakers you see at pizza joints?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here