Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning the Grill Grate Safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the Grill Grate Safely

How do you effectively clean your grill grate? Because there's been so much about wire bristles coming off cleaning brushes onto the grate and ending up on the food I moved to using a putty knife to scrape each bar. It works ok and is time consuming each time I grill. Any suggestions on what you've found to be safe and effective to get the grease off?

The wooden grill scrapers work decently for me. Plus, it comes in handy when the wife and grandkids get out of control. Just give them a little whack on the butt and they straighten out. A multipurpose tool. FYI - I have two as the grates are different on the 22.5" Weber and 26.75" Weber. They do a good job of getting the big stuff off, especially right after you're done cooking. A ball of foil works just as good, but you can't swat any butts with it.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't swat butts with foil, but you can hit them from further away if your aim is good enough.

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Craiger. Sounds like the wife either likes it on the butt or you better be looking over your shoulder

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I am always looking over my shoulder. She's pretty good with a rolling pin.

I've never been afflicted with the need to see shiny grill grates.

Comment

I clean my grates after every cook. I use a scrub daddy sponge with citru-safe grill cleaner and run hot water in my laundry tub and scrub the grime right off.

Comment

• bronzewound
        bronzewound commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestion luvthemstillers. Thank you!

I use the below combo on my grates. I always get my grills screaming hot after the end of each cook and then end of cleaning/scraping the next day.

Comment

• bronzewound
        bronzewound commented
        Editing a comment
        just looked at these tools. Nice choices. Thank you for suggesting.

I've switched to the nylon based grill brushes. Safer than the their metal counterparts, they do a pretty decent job.

I still, once a month, drag out my pressure washer and get after all my grates. Gets them clean as a whistle. Spray them down with a little veggie spray and they are good to go !!!

Comment

• bronzewound
        bronzewound commented
        Editing a comment
        Hadn't thought about the pressure washer but I have one and will use it on the grates. Thanks!

I use something similar to this:

I use it every year whether the grate needs it or not...

Comment

I use a good quality wire brush then hit it with an oiled paper towel. I would like to think that the second step would catch any bristles that could have come off the brush. I've never seen an errant bristle. If I did I would toss that brush in the trash and switch brands.
        Last edited by Attjack; September 13, 2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• bronzewound
          bronzewound commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Attjack

I have used the Weber brand grill brush for about 20 years and when I detect any wear I get a new one. About every 3 years. I have never detected any lost bristles and have tried pulling on them and they do not come out.

I also use an oiled rag or paper towels after using the brass bristle brush. This is the one I get. https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessor...d=1348#start=1
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 13, 2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• bronzewound
          bronzewound commented
          Editing a comment
          thank you mountainsmoker

I followed lonnie mac 's recommendation and bought a hot water heater leak pan from Lowe's. After every cook, I fill it with Simple Green and water and soak the grate overnight then scrub and rinse the next day, let dry and put back in the WSCGC, PBC, or 22" kettle ready for the next use.

For the Grill Grates on my gasser, I clean while pretty hot with aluminum foil. Then I let it cool, use more aluminum foil for a second cleaning go-around. Then wipe them down lightly with veggie oil, heat the grill to 250° and let it cool back down.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 14, 2019, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha fzxdoc I still use my water pan too! Not as much as you do, but it does the job well when ya need a good cleaning!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Every time I use that water pan, Lonnie mac, I think of you. What a brilliant idea that is.

Kathryn

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          How in the world did I miss this? Thank you fzxdoc & lonnie mac for the cleaning tips! I need to find a 28" model for the 26.75" Weber.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here