Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloves

I am needing to purchase a new set of gloves. The first pair I had, and still use to this day are from LODGE. They are great but they are covered in grease, and dirt, anytime I pick anything up they get
    everything dirty.

Does anyone one have any recommendations? Looking for a good pair to obviously withstand the heat, but won’t fail after a week of use.

I got these on Amazon, work great....https://www.amazon.com/FIREOR-Resist...ateway&sr=8-16

...but to be honest I just use nitrile gloves over cotton heat resistant most of the time. Better on the greasy mess....

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I am with you on the nitrile over cotton. Also they wont cool your hand and warm your beer !
      Last edited by Ahumadora; May 19, 2019, 10:43 AM.

go to the home center and grab a pair of welding gloves

Comment

So far I go cheap on gloves. Welding gloves from Harbor Freight for hot stuff, yard gloves from Ace for charcoal or dirty grate handling and the like, and cotton gloves from Ace for under latex gloves for handling food. I believe they are all $5 or under.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        The cotton glove liners I use came with a set of cheap replacement batteries for my cordless tools, for some inexplicable reason. My welding gloves are some cheap Lincoln Electric ones I got from Amazon. I only got them because they have flames on them, and therefore go faster. I probably spend more on nitriles than any other gloves.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I now use my cut resistant gloves under nitrile gloves for handling hot food.

Nitriles from Costco. 2 boxes of 200 gloves each for about $20.00
      Last edited by lbyer; May 19, 2019, 05:53 AM.

Comment

For hot food handling I also use the cotton / nitrile combo...harbor freight is the best price I've found for the nitrile...

For handling hot items like grates or the PBC rods I use a pair of firefighter gloves, if I wasn't a volu teer firefighter with extra pairs of gloves I would be using welding gloves.

Comment

I'm with Troutman , XXL nitrile over thermal cotton are my choice for food. Works great for everything from pulling hot pork, chuck, or brisket to mixing ice cold sausage mince. Cleanup is simple - toss the nitrile in the trash. I also use leather welding gloves for handling hot hardware.

Comment

You've gotten excellent advice. I'll only add that there is an excellent review, with testing results, on the free side of the site that might be worth your time to read. Good luck!

Comment

I swear by these gloves. Use them all the time when cleaning my WSCGC 24" grate on my Summit gasser. I have to flip the grate to scrub the underside and at 600-700 degrees, it's really hot. Never a problem.

These gloves are rated to 900°F direct contact and 1200°F otherwise: Protects in any temperature

Avoid worker injury by providing these heat resistant, wool lined, Kevlar® backed gloves for working around high temperatures.
              • Aluminized backing, over blended Kevlar® and para aramid blend fabric palm, reflects 90% of radiant heat away from back of hand for optimum protection
              • Rugged 14" glove, with 11 oz. wool lining, provides radiant heat and abrasion resistance
              • Protects in any temperature up to 1200°F radiant heat and 900°F short contact heat
              • Clean easily with warm mild soap and water

Click image for larger version  Name:	229073.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	555434

https://www.northernsafety.com/Produ...Hi-Temp-Gloves

I also use this kevlar sleeve to protect my braceleted arms. I usually use them with my Grill Beast or Pit Mitt gloves but they're good with the big kevlar gloves as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	229068.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	555435

They come in 10" to 18" lengths. https://www.northernsafety.com/Search?q=kevlar+sleeve

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet they’re still that nice white too!

"Ground control to Major fzxdoc. Put your gloves on before exiting the capsule."

Good thread. I was close to asking for the same advice. I’m still using Weber gloves from Home Depot. Kinda clunky. No fingers.

Comment

I purchased these from Amazon: RAPICCA BBQ Gloves -Smoker, Grill, Cooking Barbecue Gloves, for Handling Heat Food Right on Your Fryer, Grill or Oven. Waterproof, Heat Resistant, Fireproof, Oil Resistant Neoprene Coating (14-Inch )

Comment

I have a pair of the PBC gloves. Work well just a little tight.

Comment

Mostly, I use th gloves that I git issued at work, once they've become 'compromised', electrically...specifically, these:

If things are HOT, i.e.: removin grates, etc., I pull on some cheapo leather work gloves over em.

When roustaboutin some big proteins by hand, (or pullin em, afterwards) such as pork butts, chuckies, or briskets, I use cottons under nitrile...

Comment

I'm like a lot of folks here and use nitrile over cotton but lately I've been using the PBC gloves for moving hot pans, wrapped meats or even hot charcoal baskets.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

• jerrybell
                          jerrybell commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks like you have some great options from everyone here. Have you tried just washing the gloves you already have?

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here