Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation of Tel-Tru BQ300 BBQ Thermometer in 18.5 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation of Tel-Tru BQ300 BBQ Thermometer in 18.5 WSM

Tel-Tru BQ300 BBQ Thermometer installation looks pretty straightforward, but when I took off the Weber Thermometer in the lid, it has a much smaller diameter hole. Is there a best way to expand the hole to 1/2" diameter using a standard 18Volt drill? (Makita) I want to expand the hole, which is a curved painted surface and then spray it with appropriate paint to keep it rustproof. The trick will be to keep the drill from wandering since I don't have a pilot hole to anchor it.

Hey helo,

the existing thermometer should have a hole that pass's thru the lid and give you a hole to use as a pilot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	18therm2 (1).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	50233

From here its a half inch hole saw from done.

I wouldn't worry much about rust proofing You will see when you take out the existing therm thats just bare metal in that hole..
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 8, 2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Heloflyer
      Heloflyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, I wouldn't have noticed it was bare already. I really like the glow feature on the replacement because I tend to start real early with something like a pork butt

You can use a step drill bit that help ease the transition between hole sizes. I used one for installing the lid hinge on my WSM to minimize chipping.

Comment

I just saw your post and will give it a try. Thank you

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here