Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokenator - question about water pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokenator - question about water pans

On my 22.5 OTG, I am using the Smokenator. First thing I did is ditch the tiny water pan that comes with it and replaced it with a loaf pan on the grate above the fire. I also put water in the pan on the charcoal grate as well. What are others doing? Have seen some pictures posted with only the pan on the charcoal grate, got me thinking.

I've had a recurring issue with pork shoulders where I hit a second stall (for lack of a better term) - I stall at about 160 for several hours, then creep up into the mid-170s and it stops again. I've had to finish the last two in the oven to get them into the 195-203 range. Trying to figure out if my setup is causing it.

1. Nothing wrong with finishing in the oven.

2. Are you wrapping at all? I prefer not to wrap, but at the end, you can wrap and jack up the temp (350ish) to get that sucker done.

Comment

• Mike Prince
      Mike Prince commented
      Editing a comment
      Have not wrapped anything yet, thinking of trying that on the next butt I do.

Mike, I'm using my smokenator for the first time today as well. I started with a loaf pan on the grate like you, but then found it to be a hassle to have to move so I went back to the factory pan when I added wood chunks. Now I find that I have to remove the factory pan to get more chunks in, which is also a pain.

Comment

PS. I put the factory pan back in originally because the rack closest to the smokenator was getting too much heat from flames coming up out of the smokenator.

Comment

I have a Weber kettle and Smokenator. I have done shoulders and ribs several times without using water at all and been very happy with the results.

Comment

I put the factory pan on top of the cooking grate, directly above the hole it's designed to rest in. It's small enough that I can easily use tongs to move it when I need to.

Comment

I have a Weber kettle and the cooking grate has a hinge which I locate directly above the snokenator. I use the original water pan as designed, have no problem adding coals or water and it works well for me.

Comment

I use a loaf pan that I set over one of the round holes. This way I don't have to fill it as often. I find it easier to add new charcoal to the rectangular opening. I also have a hinged grill that I keep open all the time over the Smokinator.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here