Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can opener

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can opener

    I just threw my last manual can opener away yesterday. I need some suggestions. I want a can opener I can use then throw in the dish washer. I’m pretty insistent on using clean can openers. My wife’s electric doesn’t get cleaned nearly as often as I like so I don’t use it. My last manual had a longer than normal handle that made cranking it very easy but that was its only redeeming quality. With in a month of buying it there was rust all around the cutter and it started skipping places around the can as I cranked it, making more than one pass necessary. I just want a good dependable all stainless steel manual can opener. Do you have any suggestions?

    #2
    I don't know of one either but I always use hand cranks. I was thinking the other day these openers seem to skip a lot. Did they do something to the way they are forming the lids now? My grip is not soft by any means.

    Comment


    • Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I took the easy way out and blamed it on the opener. My grip is fine. I can still open tight jars so I think I’m ok. I was put off by the rapid onset of rust on the cutter and gear. I’m not going to get in there with a tooth pick to try to get all that rust out. Then as we’ve discussed it started skipping spots. Someone makes a good dependable opener that doesn’t rust. I just don’t know who it is.

    #3
    Can openers. I hate electric ones because it takes up real estate and I don’t use cans often enough to justify. Not to mention keeping them clean Oak Smoke . My current one is an OXO and after each use, I take a scrub brush to it, rinse well and air dry. I open cans of tomatoes more than anything. And all that acidity does it’s fair share of damage to can openers.

    so to answer your question, no idea. Nor have I researched….

    edit: it occurs to me though, tossing it I. The dishwasher will damage the “soft grip” coating sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by SheilaAnn; September 13, 2026, 03:48 PM. Reason: Add thoughts

    Comment


      #4
      Lynn, I’ve posted about this before, but this is the best and easiest to use can opener I’ve ever had. Just set it on top of the can and push the button. It stops automatically when finished. It cuts on the side of the can, no sharp edges, no bits of paper from the can to clean up….and you won’t need to clean this opener. Battery operated and rechargeable. Comes with a mount you can put on the wall if you want, I’ve got mine mounted in the pantry, out of sight. You’ll thank me later.



      Theres a 21% off coupon making it $47.


      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2323.png Views:	0 Size:	399.4 KB ID:	1885735
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 13, 2026, 04:42 PM.

      Comment


      • Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        We have a manual version of this type of can opener. It's fantastic.

      #5
      I've had this one since May, and no rust. It is manual, yes, but very easy to use- has a hand crank instead of the twisty knob. The handle folds up too. Recommended. Can't comment on long-term use and rust, but mine isn't rusty yet. $16-ish.




      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-13 183104.png Views:	0 Size:	247.2 KB ID:	1885754

      Comment


        #6
        We've had an OXO for at least 10 years now. No rust issues. When we put it in the dishwasher, it's on a no heat dry cycle.

        Comment


        • Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

        • Jessterr
          Jessterr commented
          Editing a comment
          +2. Have never put my OXO in the dishwasher, but never saw the need, just wash it off, dry it off, back in the drawer. No rust whatsoever after years.

        #7
        We have an old Pampered Chef can opener I like though my wife, for some unknown reason, has trouble sometimes. It opens with a smooth edge and doesn't get anything on it when opening even a can with nothing but liquids.

        Ours is a different style but I think the current model works the same way. My sister in law sells pampered chef.

        Comment


        • Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the looks of this one. It looks like a manual version of the kind Panhead John likes.

        • Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          We have this one. Highly recommend.

        • GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Oak Smoke It certainly does look like the manual version of the one PJ recommended (and I bought). Just note it is "hand wash only".

        #8
        I have a couple of extra P-38s and P-51s I can send you

        Comment


        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          You beat me, see below.

        • Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet most folks have no idea what you're talking about.

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to look it up…. Now I know what they are called.

        #9
        We use an electric for the cats’ cans (as we open so many in a day), but I agree….electric can openers are gross.

        We use an OXO for everything else. I’ve been looking at the one Panhead John recommends to replace it.

        Comment


        • Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          What else is cool about it is you don’t even have to guide it, to fit on the can. You can literally just set it on top of the can and it falls in place. Once you push the button you don’t have to stand there and hold the can like you would with an electric opener, so it doesn’t fall at the end of the cut. You can start it and just walk away.

        #10
        P38 or P51 Has never failed me. Have several, one is my grand fathers, one my uncles, and then I have one in each pack I have, my tacklebox, and my buckwagon. Amanda uses a kitchenaid brand.

        Comment


        • 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep one in the glove box along with a corkscrew and bottle opener

        • TomfromtheSoo
          TomfromtheSoo commented
          Editing a comment
          My brother in law had a friend that field dressed a deer with a P38. Forgot his knife.

        • texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          TomfromtheSoo thats impressive!! I've field dressed, skinned and quartered plenty with a pocket knife, but never a canopener! That right there is backwoods badassery!

        #12
        For the uneducated concerning the dirtiest inch in the house.....

        Comment


          #13
          I don't have personal experience with it, but the Rosle can opener, while pricey, looks like it might meet your needs.

          Manufactured entirely from stainless steel. Opens tin smoothly and easily. Leaves no sharp edges behind on lid or tin rim and does not come into contact with contents. The lid can subsequent


          The cutter does not contact the contents of the can. It's supposedly very clean. The entire thing is 18/10 Stainless, so it should last quite a while.



          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7