Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you buy your charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you buy your charcoal

Hi All,

I was wondering, for all you charcoal grillers out there, how do you buy it? In 8 or 10kg bags or do you buy bulk to keep costs a little lower?

I guess I'm really wondering if buying in bulk might keep the costs a little lower

Mike

I look for the dual 20 lb. bags on sale at the big stores. Best value by far. The smaller the bag, the higher the cost, in my experience

Comment

Yeah I guess thats my experience too! Its always interesting to see what people who've been doing this for a while do. You often pick things up knowledge without even realising it

Comment

Costco in my area always has the Kingsford competitions briquets on sale in a two pack. I usually get those when avaialbe. But typically i buy my charcoal using a credit card, sometimes cash....

Comment

Kingsford blue here. I too look for the Home Depot two 20lb'ers for $10 at the holidays, you just can't beat that deal with two sticks. Even when the deal isn't on, two 20s for $20 is still better than the small bags at the regular grocery or hardware stores. I always do quick math to see the per/lb price. If it's over .50/lb (the home depot non-sale price) then I move on. Less than .50 lb is a good deal.

Comment

Just got three bags of the B & B Hardwood briquettes 17.6 pound bags at Academy for $9.99 a pop

Normally I pay almost $7 for an 8.8 pound bag.

Kingsford I get that twin pack when I can of 13.9 pounders, I think...can't think in pounds or kilos right now

Comment

As A Prime Member with Amazon, I have ordered lump charcoal from South America in 40 pound bags, at a very good price, and use it in my Primo XL. Some of the best lump charcoal that I have found, and have used.
              Last edited by dscott; July 16, 2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dscott View Post
                As A Prime Member with Amazon, I have ordered lump charcoal from South America in 40 pound bags, at a very good price, and use it in my Primo XL. Some of the best lump charcoal that I have found, and have used.

Actually that leads to another good question! Since I've had my weber I've made sure I used briquettes, it sounds like you're using lumpwood, what are the benefits from your perspective?

Comment

My goto charcoal is Kingsford blue bag. I look for the 2x20 lb bag deals like everyone else. When I use lump I go with Hasty Bake lump charcoal. It's far superior to anything else I've tried. Amazon has a very good deal on it. 5 10lb bags for $60. This is supposed to be the same Lump as Ozark Oak, just branded Hasty Bake. When I want super hot charcoal I use B&B or Kingsford competition.

Comment

I normally buy the Kingsford 2x20 bags from Home Depot for $20 ....lump all I can usually find is Cowboy Lump Charcoal around here....but I cant really say I hunt for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrobertson50 View Post
                      Costco in my area always has the Kingsford competitions briquets on sale in a two pack. I usually get those when avaialbe. But typically i buy my charcoal using a credit card, sometimes cash....
                      +1 Dual bags of Kingsford Competiton at Costco are my go to.

Comment

The new Costco in North FTW caries enormous bags of Stubbs lump. It's awesome. So glad we found that since the stuff from Kroger was somewhat lacking.

Comment

Same s most people around here Kingsford blue bag whenever it's dirt cheap whether I need any at that particular moment or not. I know I'll go through it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here