Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throw out your wire brushes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw out your wire brushes!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can be deadly.

Doctor makes shocking discovery after 4-year-old had excruciating ear pain at a BBQ | CNN

Ok. I agree. Throw out old falling apart grill brushes. 130 cases a year? Come on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HawkerXP; February 25, 2023, 12:54 PM. Reason: reread my post and corrected..

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      130 PER year OVER a 12 year period

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooops. miss read. But still..... that is a pretty small number.

Actually it says 130 cases PER YEAR on average for a 12 year period.

Comment

This is a good wake-up call.​

If you wipe off the grates with a cloth after cleaning with a wire brush, and you only use a brush in good condition, this would not be a problem. I inspect my grates after cleaning. It is part of my BBQ cleaning procedure.

Here is a "How to"

(4) How To Simply Clean Your Pellet Grill - YouTube
      Last edited by bbqLuv; February 25, 2023, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        +1. I clean my grill after every cook and use a rolled-wire brush (bristles if it's really bad) when necessary. Regardless, I always finish by cleaning the food grate in the slop sink using a heavy wet rag to assure it's spotless (and safe).

I had bought a brush from cave tools once to have the bristles fall out, contacted the company told them of the issue, stated they where sorry and sent me a new like brush. so started using the rolled type coiled wire cleaner no more bristles!

Comment

Yup, I use a wire brush followed by a scrubby sponge.

Comment

Scary. Meathead began teaching the same thing several years ago, it's in both of his books and on the site, and this led me to using brushes like these and I love them:

Click image for larger version  Name:	grillbrush2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.5 KB ID:	1383067

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            They wear out too. But you can dip them in water and clean "with steam", as it were.

• RiverJeff
            RiverJeff commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the ticket! Kona make a really nice one with out the scraper. I scrape with a stiff putty knife.

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            I just got one of those to complement the Grill Rescue...sometimes you need to scrape... So far I'm happy with it. Still love the Grill Rescue.

I only use wadded up aluminum foil now to clean the grates of my gasser, WSCGC, 22" kettle. Works great with a good heat-proof glove and a kevlar sleeve tube, both from Northern Safety.

I let the grates get super hot to ash up the leavings for 20-25 minutes while we eat dinner then attack them after dinner with the aluminum foil while still hot. I protect my hands and arms with Kevlar gloves (rated at 900° direct contact and 1200° indirect contact) and kevlar sleeves from Northern Safety:

Click image for larger version  Name:	229073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	1071193Click image for larger version  Name:	229069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1071194

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Same Supreme hot grates, and foil dipped in water.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Grill Rescue Brush. I think it is the best cleaning device I've ever had. This one is for you Huskee . The brush is dishwasher safe for 100 uses per head, uses steam to clean, no wires, and leaves no residue on your smoker. For background, I've used scrubby wipes (disintegrate after 2-3

Comment

After using the wire brush I then go over it with a silicon brush followed by a careful inspection.

Comment

The best thing I've found for cleaning grates is meant for cast iron. It's called the Ringer.

The Ringer - The Original Stainless Steel Cast Iron Cleaner, Patented XL 8x6 Inch Design (amazon.com)

Comment

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                I use that om my cast iron stuff. Good idea accept you would have to do when the grates are cold, right?

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                RichieB Generally I brush them off just prior to using them, so yes they are cold. If it were really bad, I would probably soak the grates first, which they would still be cold. Should I have need to do it when they are hot, I would have to wear heat resistant gloves. Never had to do that, or soak. They do a fine job on cold grates just before using. They don't fall apart, and they clean easily by soaking and rinsing..

FZXdoc is right on target. I always clean grates with wire brush when hot. After cooled I then wipe with damp paper towel. And , before the next cook I always re-clean with damp towel. Have seen many recipes by high profile cooks that say you should clean grates with wire brush before cooking. That doesn't cut it with me.

Comment

Nothing works like a wire brush on a hot grate. I still use them and them use an oiled paper towel to clean off the blackness and hopefully remove any stray wires.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try wadded up foil dipped in water on a hot grate.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  texastweeter I have and still say nothing works like a wire brush on a hot grill. The only exception is a wire brush dipped in water on a hot grill but that's only necessary if you have a lot of gunk you need to cut through.

even those helical grill brushes can deteriorate and leave bits of steel, what ever you use, make a mental note to check grate before food applied. As Bonsey would say “ Keep Calm and Smoke On”!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The helical brushes I purchased in the past rusted too quickly too.

K.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know - I had one from the Grillgrate folk that deteriorated like you say, but I've got one with the continuous coil wire that my niece gave me for my birthday many years ago that has never ever deteriorated. Pretty stout stainless wire in the coil on that one. Never has rusted or broken. The one from Grillgrate was trash in a few months though.

Your supposed to clean the grates?

No wonder y'all have problems...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here