Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza peel... sand or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza peel... sand or no?

So i have a wood peel. It's inexpensive but... it's a pizza peel. However, the wood has a noticeable texture and I think I should sand it. Any reason NOT to?

I vote for sanding. It’s so much easier to use a smooth one.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my thinking. I grabbed a cheap Winco on from the restuarant supply store and I think it's just... not really finished. (grabs sander)

Don't forget to sand with the direction the pizza will slide off the peel.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      (puts away rotary sander)

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory - you can use the orbital, but the final sanding should be by hand with the direction of "pizza travel".

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually it wasn't too bad. I think the wood just furred a little when I washed it since it wasn't oiled at all. Hand sanded, oiled, will do another layer of oil and then it should be good.

I have one, I vote for seasoning. But, I have a good one from The Bakers Board, also, learn semolina flour.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 23, 2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Smoothing it won't hurt, but if you use semolina you'll also notice better results.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, will grab some of that. I was just surprised it wasn't smooth already.

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Is the semolina part of the crust or just sprinkled on the peel?
        Last edited by Sid P; June 24, 2022, 04:58 AM. Reason: Typo

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P for this discussion it's "lubricant" for the peel. The way it's ground makes it perform like mini ball bearings, and the mouth feel is "softer" than typical corn meal that some use.

A bit of texture is actually helpful, since it helps keep the crust from just completely adhering. Unless it's really rough I'd soak it down with mineral oil and see if it improves, since it's probably dried out from sitting around in the store for god knows how long.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah did some light sanding to remove some furring, oiled it.

I don't even use my wooden peel anymore because I use parchment paper so my metal ones work like a charm for launching and retrieving.

Comment

Like Attjack, I don't use a wooden peel as I prefer a perforated metal peel. I find that it launches just as well as any wooden peel I've used and I love the perforations as it allows excess semolina/flour to drop through the perforations so less chance of excessive charring of the bottom of the crust.

Comment

I would be concerned about oiling the wood and then sticking it in a pizza oven at 900 degF. It may just end up as a giant candle.....

I also use a metal peel with semolina flour. My first attempt had the pizza sticking to the peel and looked more like an unintended Calzone. I added more (regular) flour on the peel only to find that the excess flour sat between stone and pizza. It burnt leaving an unpleasant bitter taste. A perforate peel as pkadare mentioned is a good alternative.

Comment

I have sanded my inexpensive wood peel twice. Once when it was new because the dough kept sticking and once after it accidentally ended up in a full kitchen sink. No problems. Not sure about the upper end models but I will suggest never dunking them in water.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here