Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is melted foil a hazard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is melted foil a hazard?

I was cooking pizzas on my BGE last night, I use a Ceramic Grill Store rig to hold the pizza stone. To keep the radiant heat from overheating the pizza stone I put a single layer of foil about 3 inches below the stone. When I cleaned it out this morning I found that the foil had melted. There's a layer of something clear that was sticking out where it melted. So, was I eating aerosolized aluminum? Is there plastic in rolled foil? I don't think I'll have any ill effects, but should I avoid this in the future?

Click image for larger version

Name:	melted foil.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1238957

Salt eats aluminum, I've had this happen to dry brining big meats overnight, covered with kosher salt. The foil looked like yours. As far as heat goes the melting point of foil is 660 degrees.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      I did have it up to close to 700 degrees, and I don't salt would have landed there, my theory is still that it melted.

Lasagna Cell or just plenty heat.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...reactive-pans/

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably lasagna cell.

Well that was my lesson for today. I did not know any of that. I’ve probably been eating aluminum for a while now. I will certainly be more careful in the future. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Kinda makes sense why I can't lose weight, I gotta gut fulla Alcan.

Wild that even being on here over three years, there are really important articles on the site I didn't even know about!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here