Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infuriating error...garden content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infuriating error...garden content

I online ordered some 8ft 2x4s to frame up a foundation for a new garden shed i am putting up. Pick em up, poured it a few weeks ago. The shed was delivered and i go to start building it. Weird, the foundation isnt big enough so i start measuring. Home depot gave me the 92.5" 2x4s they carry and not the 8ft ones. Super pissed at myself for not checking but more so at them for not giving me the right length. Now i need to extend the foundation, looked good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0560.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1231840

Them sneaky dogs.

Comment

You need the other 8 ft boards not those 8 ft’rs.

Comment

Probably sold you our stupid Canadian metric lumber.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          You said it not me

Measure twice, pour once....

Comment

I would just use cinderblock on the front of the pad... but if you're gonna pour an extra foot on make sure you drill and epoxy some rebar in it to hold the 2 together. Also a good excuse to pour more than a foot and have a ramp extending off the extension you pour

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Dont need the ramp for this one but otherwise i would. Will def do the rebar. I was going to type when i do something i do it properly but i guess i cant really say that here since i already messed up, lol

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            grantgallagher I mean use it as an excuse to pre-plumb a PVC pipe in the extension pad in case you wanna add solar lights or even hard wire electric in the future.

They sell more 921/2" 2x4 than the 96". That is so when you build walls the bottom stud and the 2 top studs will make it a 8ft wall.

Comment

• Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            Plates n headers. Just sayin

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, the other 8ft’ers

Isn’t it amazing that a 2x4 isn’t, an 8 foot board isn’t, etc, etc., and we all are ok with that? But you’re not alone Grant. Similar things have happened to me. Infuriating for sure.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            So on a deployment to a sandy 3rd world country we had issues because the plans for buildings we were making were using US assumptions, but when we got the wood, the 2x4's WERE 2x4. Caused a lot of "fun" when it wasn't discovered until the first building had been fully framed out and we didn't have enough plywood for the roof.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, like a half gallon of ice cream isn’t……well, isn’t.

This exact thing happened to me when I built my shed back in 2006. With one exception. I'm the one that picked out the wrong sized 2x4s.

Comment

Why do they even sell those?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              leol2 explained it above, but I also agree with Jfrosty27 's comment above, too. We've been conditioned to accept sub-par. We do it in SO many areas of our lives... I'll stop before I start talking about Washington...

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              They gave him framing studs for walls, which are different than an 8' 2x4. Framing studs are sold in either 92 5/8 lengths (8' walls), 104 5/8 (9' walls) or 116 5/8 (10' walls).

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              This also begs the question of why is a 2x4 actually 1.75 x 3.5?

My usual response when I’ve made a measurement error…

Ah geez, I cut it twice and it’s still too short.

Comment

Aw man...

Comment

Measure twice always. Learned that lesson a few times myself.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See surfdog ‘s post #11.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here