Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping high heat to wear both sides on Grill Grates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping high heat to wear both sides on Grill Grates?

New guy here! Been really enjoying the tips I've read so far from Meathead. I have a set of grill grates now for my Weber Spirit E310 and they have been working well so far. I have them upside down to form a griddle. One thing I'm having trouble with though is how to sear both sides of "diner" burgers. I put on the meat (3 per grate, with the grates upside down) and it's plenty of heat for a good sear on one side but not enough to sear the other side when I flip. I have the grill cranked up all the way with the lid up. I had the same problem with skirt steak. It's almost like the meat is a heat sink and sucks too much heat out of the grill grates. Any ideas on how to get a good sear on both side with grill grates?

Also, is there any high heat application where it's best to cook with Grill Grates right side up? I might try thin chicken breasts that way next time with wood chips underneath them. First time I did chicken breasts with the grill grates I cooked them griddle side up with wood chips in a foil bag underneath.

Welcome to The Pit tugboat! I have never used Grill Grates or a Weber Spirit for that matter so I won't try to Blow Smoke at You! My advice is just hang on I bet the Cavalry Is On The Way! 👍👍👍👍👍 Dan. Fargo ND

Comment

Thanks Dan! I should add that the grill is fairly new. Got it new late summer.

Comment

Make sure you have lots of room on your Grill Grate "griddle" so when you flip the burger it goes to an unused location. Then you'll get a sear on both sides. Grill Grate makes a griddle that works well too.

Comment

That worked! Thanks CandySue! I put some applewood chips underneath the Grill Grates and the burgers turned out delicious. Not sure how much was the good sear on both sides and how much was the applewood chips (the applewood chips did start flaming after a bit but I'm pretty sure I did taste some smoke) but they sure were tasty.
          Last edited by tugboat; November 10, 2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit tugboat

Comment

Thanks DWCowles!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here