Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper temp of warming drawer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper temp of warming drawer

When I remodeled my kitchen, now nearly a decade ago (really? That long ago??), i had a nice Viking warming drawer installed to go with my Viking double oven and stovetop. I use the warming drawer as my "cambro" and I've always wondered what temp I should be setting it at. Typically i set it for 150. Is this a good "resting" temp or should I go a bit higher? I've had good results, but I've always wondered... Opinions kind friends?

I set the warmer I get to use at about 145-150 for brisket. 165-170 if I have some pork to pull.

Comment

I own an appliance store and sell warming drawers. It is generally acknowledged that a temp of 170 is recommended to kill bacteria, for meats.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I would think that any bacteria would be long gone from brisket, pork butt or chuckies since they cook to 200+. Chicken, yeah, maybe 170 for holding that but I wouldn't do that for long for fear of drying it out. Frankly I've never held chicken. When it comes out it disappears! Hehehe. Appreciate everyone's feedback. Think I've been pretty much on track.

Great Question and Good Answers! Very helpful to beginners and old timers alike! Dan

Comment

Pappy, any foods left at cooler temps have the ability to develope bacteria after the fact also. If you go to a restraunt that uses warming drawers to hold food, such as Lubys, etc, they are required to meet min temps for just that reason. The nice thing about warming drawers is that you can keep foods up to 8 hours without drying them out, as opposed to keeping them warm in your oven.

Comment

Food service hot food has to be held at 135 degrees or higher. That temp is of the food, not the hot-holding equipment.

Internal temp of the food must be taken every 2 hours.

Hot holding equipment should NOT be used to reheat food.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 22, 2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here