Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use for a spice grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought people might be interested in seeing how this thing works. Click the link for an animation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bfvu8b5.png
Views:	193
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	1023986

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It stores spices (peppercorn for me) under the wooden cap and you pour the desired amount into the lower chamber and give it a grind. I use this anytime I need a medium amount of pepper. If I am making a big batch of rub and need lots of pepper I still turn to my Nutribullet with the grinder blade and if I need a few grinds I reach for a pepper mill.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are cool

I have a bunch but settled on this one. I bought one to replace my electric coffee grinder. After just one use, I ordered second one for spices. Click image for larger version

Name:	grinder.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1024243

Comment

If you have an Oster blender, the small plastic jars that screw onto the blade assembly work well. I grind flax seeds to make flax seed bread regularly.

Oster Blender Jars, Lids, & Jar Sets at Goodman's (goodmans.net)

Comment

I use a small krups bladed coffee grinder for larger amounts. If i need a small amount of something, I'll just break out a smallish mortar & pestle

Comment

I also use a electric coffee grinder..but a mortar and pesdtal more often..the one on bottom we found in a antique shop in Missouri..it is from Monroeville Alabama north of my Wife s home town about 15 miles..neat to have /brings back many memories/ we were almost made 52 years/when she passed
          Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            So sorry for your loss. I met my best friend about 52 years ago, and this June will be our 50th wedding anniversary. I can’t conceive of life without her.

Comment

Originally posted by grillinglousiana View Post
            I also use a electric coffee grinder..but a mortar and pesdtal more often..the one on bottom we found in a antique shop in Missouri..it is from Monroeville Alabama north of my Wife s home town about 15 miles..neat to have /brings back many memories/ we were almost made 52 years/when she passed
            she saved me from total hell after nam..every day i struggled to go forward...

Comment

I got my big, smooth mortar and pestle from Ikea. I love that thing and if I remember correctly it was less than ten bucks!

ÄDELSTEN Mortar and pestel, marble black. Made of hard marble; crushes spices efficiently. Both sides can be used to crush spices in as the mortar is reversible.
              Last edited by JakeT; April 29, 2021, 01:13 PM. Reason: I lied, it was $15

Comment

The problem with blade grinders is that you end up with a variety of grind sizes all at once. It's why people move to burr grinders for coffee. An inexpensive burr grinder like this https://www.capresso.com/coffee-grin...nd-select.html might work better if you want to end up with a given grind.

Comment

Mine is a small Cuisinart. Hard to control the grind size but gets the job done

Comment

My "grinder".
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	16197928030127020807387223198201.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1024750

Comment

• Pepper - various grinders picked up over the years. have about 4 nice wood ones
                      • Salt - OXO EMW6503106 adjustable. Have coarse salt in it. Have a salt pig for the general kosher.
                      • For pastes and some grinding: mortar/pestle
                      • For various mixes: old krups blade grinder. as others have said depending on spices may need to sift and regrind if you want even.
                      • For some of the harder spices I recently picked this up and have to say it works pretty well and feels safer when doing a bunch of shaving vs the hand held microplane https://reluctanttrading.com/collect...ice-mill-black

Comment

The one I got was Secura brand on Amazon- it is no longer available but this looks similar.
                        I have had a few blade grinders that froze up after a while. I like that I can remove the bowls and wash them.
                        When my burr coffee grinder was broken this filled in ok.

Comment

I'm going to go cro magnon and use a mortar and pestle which I prefer over the inconsistent grind I get from our Ninja Bullet bladed grinder.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Welcome to My World, Brother!!!

At first, yer knuckles will git some abrasions , but, given time, they'll callous up, right nicely lol
                            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 1, 2021, 09:30 AM.

• RustyHaines
                            RustyHaines commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Such is our fate striving for perfection, eh?

I use a granite mortar and pistol. It's great.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ain't ya at all fraida ricochets???? :

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here