Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love my garlic press.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my garlic press.

For all my life that I've been cooking, I've always hated slicing/chopping garlic. Trying to get the skins off is such a pain. As such, I've typically used the pre-minced garlic in a jar. You know the stuff.....where you have to double or even triple the amount to get it tasting anywhere close to fresh garlic.

A few months ago I picked up a garlic press to try it out. I love this thing!

The one I have is the OXO Garlic Press: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Sof.../dp/B00HEZ888K

You don't have to peel the cloves and you just squeeze it into whatever, scraping off the garlic that gets stuck to the press with a fork. (If you leave the skins on, yes, some garlic gets stuck inside the press, but I just add an additional clove or two to compensate. After all, what is worse with more garlic?)

When you're done with a clove, you just flick the crushed skins out with a fork and discard. If you do everything right, you won't even get garlic on your fingers. (The scent of garlic on my hands can last for days for some reason.)

You do need to clean/wash the press fairly soon after you've used it. Dried garlic dries hard, although soaking the press in a bowl of dish soap and water solves this.

I am probably never going to use minced-garlic-in-a-jar again.

I have a very similar one. Never thought about putting unpeeled garlic in it.
    I gotta try this next time I use it.
    Man that would make life grand if it works with mine.

Thanks for the info Michael

Comment

I have the same one, been using it for years. I do peel my garlic though. Just crush it with a knife.

Comment

I used to have the pampered chef one. I loved it. I didn’t peel the garlic either.

Comment

I have the Pampered Chef one. I like it a lot, but it's a PITA to clean. I mostly microplane garlic these days.

Comment

I buy the jar stuff. It seems to have more moisture, and isn't that what we are all after?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              We primarily use the jar stuff too... but it does have a distinct taste to it.

I use both the jar stuff and my Pampered Chef press. I started using it more after watching Sam the Cooking Guy. So much easier than dicing by hand. The food channel chefs all look down on garlic presses but I think they help release more of the oil in garlic and I seem to get a bolder flavor profile.

Comment

I got so mad trying to get it clean one day mine ended up in the trash. Now I take my anger out of the garlic itself. A quick pound under the blade of the knife and it’s ready to mince.

Comment

I don't think it's hard to peel but if you do, buy the Christopher Ranch peeled garlic. Whole cloves, you can control the cut (slice, fine mince, whatever) but peeled so you don't need to mess with that if you don't want to.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  those bags are super handy but rare (not that brand, but the same idea, bagged pre-peeled) around here

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting! I did not know such a thing existed...and my local store actually seems to carry it.

Okay, so a helpful hint for getting rid of the garlic smell on your skin, though with your new toy you may not be interested. Maybe someone else can benefit. Rub the offending area with a piece of stainless steel, and the smell miraculously goes away. I don't know why, just that it works like "magic".

Comment

• jumbo7676
                  jumbo7676 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They make soap-shaped stainless steel bars specifically for this purpose. https://www.amazon.com/Amco-8402-Sta...23562059&psc=1

• jumbo7676
                  jumbo7676 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess I should have read the next reply before commenting here.

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, the soap bar shaped deals are cute, but I use a stainless spoon rest I have next to the stove...........I like multi-taskers.

This seems to help with garlic and onion odors on your hands:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here