Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA/MD Second Annual Meat-UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA/MD Second Annual Meat-UP

I don’t know about you but I’m starting to dream spring sooo…. Who’s up for a Meat-Up at the James River State Park, Va.?

This is a beautiful park and it’s well maintained. Va state parks are really well managed and this one is no exception. The park offers tent, cabin, and RV sites. This park also offers clean full bathrooms and private showers. Nice!

The James River is a beautiful river that has panoramic views and a soothing water flow. I fished there a number of years ago and it was very productive. Check out the park and make reservations here. James River State Park, VA .

So just what is this VA/MD Meat-up thingy? The idea is simple and right up the PIT alley. Gather at a campsite and enjoy great food and company around a fire. Bring your cooker and share in a potluck dinner beside a river. Relax and meet new friends. It would be great if we could fill a number of sites with the smells of smoked meat and the sounds of reversed sears. That’s it!

Who’s in? Just post I'm In and I'll PM you to work out details.

When: Check In Friday 4/26/2019; Check Out Monday 4/29/2019. You can stay all three nights or just one or two. Or you could just stop by and say hello one day if you’d like.

Each tent site can hold two tents and six people. They are $13 per night plus tax.

Just to tickle your spring fever a bit here’s a pic of the river sites.

Click image for larger version  Name:	River_Site.jpg Views:	1 Size:	637.1 KB ID:	632505

THESE SITES GO FAST! We have to act now to reserve sites along the river. If your interested just post "I’m in" and I’ll PM you to work out details. HawkerXP and I will be in the Canoe Landing Tent camping area right along the river. I’m thinking that will be home base.

That ain’t me in the hammock but it could be you!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hammock.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	632506

If you want to know more about what we’re up to check out The first annual VA/MD Meat-up.
    @HawkerXP, T-bone, his son Liam, and I all got together last April at the Shenandoah River State Park. You can check out that trip here if you want to get a feel for what we’re up to.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-md#post480197

T-bone
    ​​​​​​​Thunder77
    ​​​​​​​Pequod
    ​​​​​​​EdF
    RonB
    RichieB

If you are interested in joining us just post here I'm In! I'll PM you with details.

Hope to see ya there! Mudkat
    Last edited by Mudkat; February 4, 2019, 09:12 PM.

Dang, 'Kat, that looks awesome.

Comment

Love this! Wish I lived closer!

Comment

Started going through my camping stuff last night. May bring the Black Beauty (PBC) this time. Chicken n Wibs anyone?

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Sahweet! Yes!

I remember you guys had a cool time last year. Just a tad too far for me but hoping you all have a great time again this year. We'll expect a full reporting of course; the good, the bad AND the ugly !!!

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          That we did! The good, the bad, the ugly. Yes sir! The good and ugly easy. Gonna be hard to find bad.

I am in...

I have been involved in similar meet ups on other forums and they used google docs to track who was coming and what they were going to bring for the potluck...

Google docs allows each person to go in and register and update if they are coming, how many people might be coming with them and what they were bringing to cook. It also had a spot if someone needed something and someone might be able to bring it to loan it to them.

Chris

Just booked a campsite by the river...Since I am going to be flying solo and each site is allowed 2 tents someone is welcome to be the other tent...
        Last edited by clb239; February 5, 2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome aboard Chris! Looks like you're from that general area of Va. So it should be an easy trip for you? EdF doesn't know it yet but he's coming from Jersey! He's gonna meet Troutman at Mr. Bones house and Meat-up with us in Va.

I have no problem with Google Docs. Let's see how many are interested and go from there.

Will you be able to book a site? We're in the Canoe Landing area of the park. How many in your party?

Rick

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Right on! The more the merrier!

• clb239
          clb239 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do live kinda near there...the Search and Rescue team I used to be a member of used to do an annual weekend getaway at JRSP...it is nice state park...

Mudkat I created a google sheet to make tracking attendee info. There is one page for registration and one for meal planning. This seems to make it a lot easier than trying to keep track of who posted what in the forum thread.

I need to give credit to yojimbo on HammockForums.com for developing the spreadsheet I used. The group on HammockForums also does an optional potluck breakfast on Saturday morning.

Let me know your thoughts if you want to use it, if not I can delete this post. I am killing time in a hotel room this evening so this gave me a little something to do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

clb239
        Last edited by clb239; February 5, 2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good. I'm on it. Thanks

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Google doc it is!

Dang so close and I'd love to come, but we have a public event to setup at work... no vacation allowed during that period.

Comment

Originally posted by clb239 View Post
          I am in...

Just booked a campsite by the river...Since I am going to be flying solo and each site is allowed 2 tents someone is welcome to be the other tent...
          Great! Any one interested in the second tent spot at clb239 's site? I'll look into the Google doc tomorrow. It sounds like a good way to organize a trip.

Comment

Y’all enjoy. Looking forward to seeing and reading your adventures.

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too!

Calling all Va, Md, DC, Pa? and beyond! Come on and join us April 26th! Good time, if anything like last park, heated bathrooms, hot n cold water, private showers. I almost have the wife talked into joining us!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A25731FD-110C-4F9C-AFBD-45237EB86067.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	633179Click image for larger version

Name:	F8AB5806-ECE9-42A3-A2F0-6FBE1B78154F.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	633178 Good fishing too!

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you use any rub or sauce on that log?

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Just some homemade Louisiana rub. I might have gone to heavy on the spice because it had strong bite to it. RonB

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol!

Come on fellow east coast BBQers...What can be a better way to spend a spring weekend than communing with nature while sharing our love of all things grilled, smoked, etc...

Comment

Would love to, but we're going to be on a cruise to the Caribbean... Have fun guys!

Comment

I missed this post. Sorry about that. Looks like you had a great time on the 1st get go. I would love to. It's a bit of a stretch for me. I'd have to fly in and rent a car or rent a car and drive from Mass. We'll be a 1 car unit in a couple of weeks. Turning in our leased and going to attempt a one car scenario being retired. Should be interesting.
                  I thank you for the offer, but as of now I'll be looking forward to the pictures. Enjoy, eat and drink well.

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right O! We thought it was worth a shot! RichieB

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here