Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A report from FIR: "Fortress In Smoke"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A report from FIR: "Fortress In Smoke"

I attended a big bbq event just north of Gothenburg this weekend. Gothenburg is located on the west coast of Sweden, and the event was held in an old fortress called 'Bohus fästning'. It is 700 years old, a pretty cool location. Here's a helicopter photo of the fortress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bohusfastning.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	373475

The event is called "FIR", which is a Swedish acronym that stands for "Fortress In Smoke". It is a non-profit event aimed at sharing barbecue with people. Visitors pay a fee and then get to sample barbecue from all teams, buffet style. Every team had some kind of theme, as in barbecue from different countries all around the world.

There were a few large offset smokers, but except for that the Weber kettles and WSM's together with some kamados dominated on the equipment side.

I was there mainly to network with people and sell books. It was good fun, and it was nice to be able to sleep well instead of tending to my smoker all night :-)

Since it is a fortress there is no proper road, so all equipment was lifted over the walls with very large hydraulic cranes. See photo below.

Name:	fir-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	373472

Name:	fir-3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	373474

Name:	fir-7.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	373476

A trailer with a large kamado, offset stereo and a large speaker box :-)

Name:	fir-6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	373473

...and here's a follow-up post with some more photos. Most of these were taken before the crowd arrived, as I had a hard time leaving my 'station' when the crowd roared in.

Name:	fir-8.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	373478

Name:	fir-9.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	373479

Name:	fir-15.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	373480

Yours truly

Name:	fir-18.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	373482

Name:	fir-20.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	373481

Comment

This looks great and what a fantastic setting. Having to crane the equipment in mud have made it interesting!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure did! I kept staring at those cranes for quite a while. It all went supersmooth.

Great post, great photos (and great t-shirt!)

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I did it after attending a Myron Mixon cooking class, he said it, and I figured: I'll make a t-shirt out of that quote :-) A little drawing later, and out came a bunch of t-shirts. I give them away to people at events like this. May have to bring some to Memphis next year.

Ok. Do you have any idea how cool that is? Really. Fortress, BBQ and cranes. The little boy in me is excited to see the photos. Are there any catapults? Was that a heardhouse cutinto the hill side? Where are the guards?

very cool post. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you, it was cool. There were guards too, and cannons and all. Great setting.

What a beautiful setting for a BBQ! Great job.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Henrik, what kind of wood did you use under your books?
      Great pics of a great time. Thanx!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Why oak of course :-)

Great post, great Pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That looks like a great time. So interesting. I was wondering what the Swedish word for smoke was if it starts with 'r' since the German word is 'Rauch'. I had to look it up. For those who don't know Swedish like me, it's 'rök'.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Spot on!

Very cool Henrik It must have been an awesome time. Beautiful setting and scenery. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

This could be the coolest BBQ gathering world wide! NOW THIS IS WHERE AMERICAN ROYAL should be! What an awesome experience. What a great dive into history too!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, cooking with old school fire requires a proper fortress, me thinks :-)

What an absolutely stunning location! Beautiful pictures. A great post as always, Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you very much Thunder77! I had a great time.

Super nice! Thanks.

Comment

Fantastic location! Every time I see castles like this i'm reminded of Steve Martin's line in LA Story "Some of these buildings are over 20 years old". We got nothin' on you Europeans!

Comment

What a great place to Q! Great write up to Henrik. I assume that the Q had a Swedish flair, so what was being served? Did the sauces and rubs have a Swedish flair?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here