Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You’re Even Considering A MeatUp….We’d Like Your Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You’re Even Considering A MeatUp….We’d Like Your Help Please!

The gang here in Texas is looking for a possible new venue to hold our Fall MeatUp, probably in October. As much as we all love the Rainbow Courts in Rockdale, we’re trying to find a place closer to Austin. The areas we’re looking at are in the actual Hill Country of Texas, with beautiful scenery all around. There’s also a bigger choice of quality BBQ places within easy driving distance, most maybe 30-45 minutes away from where we might stay. We’re looking strongly at locations such as, Wimberly, San Marcos, Boerne, Blanco etc.

One of the things we’re finding out is the cost of rooms is more expensive than something of comparable quality and has outdoor gathering areas, such as The Rainbow Courts have. We all agree that staying in a regular chain type of hotel with concrete parking lots isn’t as conducive for what we wanna do. It’s all about the group camaraderie and food.

I’d like to get everyone’s input who has been to one of our MeatUps, or had plans to go but couldn’t make it OR even if you might consider going, please let us know a few things…….What is your maximum dollars per night you’d want to, or would, spend for a room? $100., $150. $200., $250. ? or whatever your price is. Please let us know what the most is you’d be willing to pay. We’re not looking for expensive places or anything like that, just something that fits our needs.

Before answering, keep in mind there’s room tax on top of the nightly rate. Also please know that we’re gonna be looking at some fairly nice places, not a Motel 6 or Days Inn, etc. Remember, some of you might stay for 3 nights and some for 2 nights.
    But whatever we choose, please know that it’ll be a fair price for what we get. Thanks for as many replies as I can get.

EDIT: We’re trying to make sure we find something that is affordable for the largest number of people.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 02:53 PM.

The further the room is from you, the more it’s worth. Not sure if you can put a price on that value.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      and that’s a joke, I’d happily stay in the room next to yours if I can ever make it down. Hard to make the schedule work and not miss kids’ events.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for clarifying, I was kinda hurt….😢
      😂 I knew you were kidding! Who in their right mind wouldn’t wanna stay close to all the Coors Light!

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Unless you switch to PBR, then the original comment holds true, I’ve seen what that stuff will make people say and do.

You might be able to get block pricing depending on the venue. Or folks could rent rv's and stay at a campground, state park, etc. - I'm spitballin' here but wanted to convey I'm open to creative solutions.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ms Twiggy. I am asking about group discounts when calling. Renting RV’s wouldn’t work for us. It’s only for 3-4 days and some people would be flying in from out of state. Most of us are too old to want to go camping. 😂
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 02:41 PM.

I'm in the $100 - 150/night range, but I also have flight and rental car costs so a bit less works a bit better for me. And nuthin' wrong with the 'Bow if we have to.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike! And the Rainbow has not been ruled out, just exploring our options.

I’m hoping to make it John. I am open on room cost. But let’s say $200/ night max.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jim!

As of this moment I plan on being in Dallas the weekend of Sept 24th for the Southwest Classic.
    This depends mostly on getting tickets of course.
    Could stay at sisters in Dallas for a week at the most before there's a homicide so Oct 1st weekend could work for us but do what's better for the other attendee's.
    Hell, love to make one of these meat ups but things don't always work out....

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      We’d love to have ya big guy! What would your nightly budget be for a room, IF you were able to make one?
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 02:56 PM.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      That's one of those questions.
      We can head to Niagara Falls for $115-145CDN a night so I'd say that would be in our comfort zone.
      Face it you get what you pay for, as long as we don't get crotch crickets....

Im sure there is an rv rental place near Austin. . . I'mma show up in a scamp and park outside the hotel lot 😂😂😂 .

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Everyone’s invited MsTwiggy ! RV it if ya like, the more the merrier. ecowper lives in your neck of the woods and he and his wife made the one we had last year, we all had a blast!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I've thought about the cross country trip toting my tent trailer too. A great way to see our beautiful country.

The areas John mentioned (Wimberly, San Marcos, Boerne, Blanco, etc.) are all beautiful locations and are close to Austin and San Antonio. The downside is that they are the places that tourists coming to Texas like to visit as well so prices can be higher for lodging although we have some leads with prices in the ranges mentioned above. Also, October is the off season so deals can be had. Besides several BBQ joints within 30-40 minutes (or closer) of those locations, there are other things to do around that area: winery tours, antiquing, etc. Fredericksburg is a little farther west but worth a visit too for those who might wish to stay an extra day or two.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to visit Fredericksburg, especially Adm. Nimitz home and WWII naval museum. He was an incredible man at the right time and right place.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I spent 2 hours in the museum, could have easily spent 8 hours - its big!

Panhead John I'm open price wise. My only other expenses will be gas and food.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - Our son lives in Austin and we were there in early March. Wound up in F'burg one day and parked close to the museum, but did not get to visit.

Here’s a place David and I found today in Blanco. It’s very nice and scenic, and a little pricey. I’m posting this ONLY to give you an idea of what’s out there. I have not made any contact with them or asked any questions. Feel free to take a look around the website. Click at the top on "The Villas" and or "Cottages" You can see the pricing for October if you click "check availability "

Four luxurious Texas Hill Country cabins within a stone's throw of the serene Blanco River. Enjoy the spectacular view of the river from your private covered porch or a walk along the river bank.

EDIT: THIS ONE WONT WORK, ONLY HAS 8 TOTAL ROOMS
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks doable.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Just spoke to them Mike, they only have 8 total rooms. This is another occasional problem for us, some of the places don’t have enough rooms for our group. I’d like to find something with at least 15 rooms.

Panhead John you can count me in the $100-$150 range, but if we don’t have a common area where we can gather during the evenings and day the experience will be greatly diminished no matter what the cost IMHO.

i don’t know how to set up a poll but you might get a broader response if it was set up in a poll like 75-100, 100-150, 150-200, 200-250 for a 2-3 day MeatUp. It could be a more nationwide poll that would factor in people’s travel cost.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sunny, I thought about that, but people can still just tell us what their range is along with their comments. 58limited thought it might be better this way also. No biggie though. And we definitely are looking for a place with a common area, it is a must have like you said.
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 04:05 PM.

Here’s another place I found in Blanco and I did speak to the owner just now. They have 15 total rooms. This would work for us possibly. They have a huge 50’ X 50’ shaded outdoor deck. Rooms range from $88. per night to $179. Pet friendly. At this time, there’s 2 weekends in October where all the rooms are available. October 7-8 and October 14-15. I’m sure many rooms would still be available for Thursday night also. But here’s another possible problem. They won’t block off rooms for us as a group, like the Rainbow did. So, depending on how soon someone books their room, they might or might not get a room. Now….someone can book a room and cancel at least 4 days before arrival, without any charges. Anyway, here’s the website.

Experience the Friendliest Lodging in the Texas Hill Country! Newly renovated hotel rooms at our inn in Blanco, Texas. Your best hotel inn option!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F19B1402-32B9-4C10-A120-66D52201F8E3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.46 MB ID:	1219054 Click image for larger version  Name:	E89EC256-2A0F-49CA-88A6-900C0E8AB851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1219055 Click image for larger version  Name:	AA1A741D-1462-4BE6-ABDE-90754DEC3AF3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.63 MB ID:	1219056 Click image for larger version  Name:	F3D51B92-28DB-445F-A918-4D4B5FE10676.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.15 MB ID:	1219057 Click image for larger version  Name:	B04014CD-069C-4772-B627-5A0DC9EA608A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.74 MB ID:	1219058

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E238CB8-FFBF-4A15-88FC-2F1D3511CBA7.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1219059

Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      This place would work for me. I'm considering joining the festivities.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      WayneT I saw you gave this a like…..🧐 Any interest in joining us in October?

It looks like a possibility. Which BBQ places are nearby? I think we would have to book early or take your chances. Surely anyone who was thinking about attending could book early and cancel before the 4 day deadline if necessary. I am leaning towards the later date in October, because it might be cooler.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with everything you said Sunny. Haven’t checked into any BBQ hotspots nearby, but Austin is only 49 miles from there.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to research it but there is a BBQ joint in Johnson City that was on the Food Network. Here are some others: Driftwood (Salt Lick BBQ) is nearby. Black Board BBQ in Boerne. Several places in and near Austin - Valentina's is on the SW side. Opie's BBQ in Spicewood. Alice's in Dripping Springs. In Blanco itself is Old 300 BBQ. Texas Motnhly gave it an OK review: brisket was as good as anyone's, other things were OK (a little overdone). Smoked cheese cake was good.
      Last edited by 58limited; May 9, 2022, 05:49 PM.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Even if the 300 migrants first given land grants in Texas didn't make it to Blanco, Old 300 BBQ is still a good lesson in Texas history. The Hill

Panhead John Have you considered the area east of I-35, such as Lockhart, Luling, and Bastrop? It seems that would involve less driving to BBQ joints as there are so many in that area. Lockhart alone has 3-4 good ones and Luling has 2. It would still be a very short drive to Austin for those so inclined.

To me, a meatup would be more enjoyable if the meals were cooked or (catered) and eaten together as a group, rather than everyone taking off in different directions to eat. It seems like that would provide more time to get to know each other, laugh, and share cooking ideas. Not all of us are big drinkers but we do like fellowship and fun.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if you don’t drink, forget it! 😂 Kidding….thanks for the suggestions…this would be a good time for Troutman to chime in, he knows that area better than me. We are tossing around the idea of a pot luck for Friday night. Those of us in Texas might bring some dishes to share with the group. Here’s how it’s worked so far. Some people come Thursday and some on Friday. The very first MeatUp we cooked steaks Friday night. It was great, but a big ordeal to cook. No regrets but….Continued
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 05:12 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      none of us want to do that again. At all our meatups so far, we’ve all hit a local restaurant together for dinner Thursday and Friday nights as a group. Saturday is BBQ day. We’ve never split into more than 3 groups for lunch. Usually just 1 or 2. But we all meet back at the hotel in the afternoon. We’ve always had plenty of time for fellowship and fun, occasionally too much fun!
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 05:14 PM.

Looks pretty nice and similar pricing to the Rainbow Courts. I'd say lets go for it if Blanco is OK with everyone. I'm sure we can get most of the rooms booked within the next few weeks. Here is a map - click to embiggen. San Antonio at the bottom, Austin top right, Fredericksburg top left. Distance scale is lower right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	blanco.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	1219068
    Last edited by 58limited; May 9, 2022, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in! I especially like the deck.

Uncle Bob MBMorgan Troutman ecowper Texas Larry Loren CandySueQ Spinnaker Jim White and anyone else possibly interested in attending, can y’all please give us your thoughts? I’m open to whatever the group wants to do. All comments are welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks very nice. October is impossible for me though. 3 contests in a row starting Oct. 7th!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I can make pretty well any weekend, I think, if I have plenty of notice. I'm not 100% on attending, but I'd like to, and if I have enough notice, I can probably get The Wife to come, too. If not, I can do a solo road trip. S.A. area is about 8h drive for me.

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in, Truth BBQ is somewhere in that vicinity if I 'member right...so new area and new joints sounds great!

I'm about an hour away...So I could easily bring three racks of ribs for a Friday night...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here