Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REDRAW: November 2019 "Great Giveaway" Sweepstakes Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

OK, the grill arrived today (along with the BBQ sauce and voucher for Porter Road), and I am anxious to get started.

The grill came via freight and was on a pallet. For those wondering, it is mostly complete, with the grates, side/front tables, etc., in a box inside the bottom. In other words, only minutes away from use. I will need to go get some charcoal so I can give her a shot. It comes in at just under 200 pounds, so it's fun to get it ready and in the back yard.

Once it is all put together and ready for showtime, I'll post some pics. For now, allow me to say that the metal is of a higher gauge than I expected, given some of the postings elsewhere on the site. It seems plenty sturdy, and is certainly more stout than my smoker. The current grill I have is a large stainless propane unit that is heavy gauge, but doesn't have the "sear" capability this one is known for; it's great for generic grilling, but not so great for smoking and/or searing.

FWIW, I intend to try this bad boy out on some searing for its first use, although my wife wants to see how it does with smoking. I'll try a spatchcocked turkey next week - done them several times in the smoker, so that will make for a good comparison test. Ever since the first time I did this with the big bird, that is what everybody demands...regular roasting does not compare.

Man, I'm salivating already...

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Pics, pics, & more pics now, please, pretty please. Whas up?

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations dmcannon99 ! I cant wait to see your pics and read about your experience.

• dmcannon99
            dmcannon99 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just finished putting it all together (have to work, ya know) and will try for a picture of the completed grill tomorrow if the weather allows...getting dark now.

Worst part of assembly Getting that film off the stainless steel parts. Ugh.
            Last edited by dmcannon99; November 20, 2019, 04:34 PM.

My heart sank when I logged on to retrieve the spatchcock turkey recipe and saw the forfeited monthly giveaway. Congrats dmcannon99 and excellent choice. Well, back to smoking that turkey. I have company coming and doing a trial run. Bee saf all.

Comment

Congrats and awesome choice. I look forward to seeing some cooks from that bad boy!!

Comment

OK, weather did not cooperate, so not able to post any pictures of the grill, but I am including a capture of the first cook from the grill, a 12 pound turkey, which you can see was spatchcocked (the only way I cook whole turkeys anymore...).

This was my first try at a non-propane grill (or smoker) in years, so it was a bit of a challenge. However, I wanted one of these under my belt before the actual "big day" came up. I used lump hardwood, which seems to be the recommendation of the manufacturer, but I think I will go with Meathead's recommendation for the next try and go with briquettes. I think they are likely more reliable and consistent, although part of the problem with this bad, I think, is that it was an off brand. It didn't have any foreign objects that I could see (not even tarantulas...), but the lumps were all over the place in size, including quite a bit that was so small they passed through the tray's grate.

Anyway, perhaps the next time I will be able to get more shots, but for now it is time to carve the bird and see how it turned out. Looks great, but the real key is how well the family digs into it. I will say that it is not the mahogany color I got from the last one out of my smoker, but we shall see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey_1_2019_11_24.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	772686

Comment

• RickyBobby
                RickyBobby commented
                Editing a comment
                Good lookin’ bird! Well done!!!

Fantastic Job, Brother!
              Thanks fer takin us all along on yer Test Drive, an I'm findin myself lookin forward to some more of yer shenanigans, as well...

Comment

Today I tackled five racks of baby backs - which was easily handled by the Hasty Bake.

Went with briquettes this time around, and it was much easier to deal with. I will have to experiment some more, as the temp after it settled sat at around 260, while I would have preferred something a little closer to 225. The picture is of two of the five racks, but they all looked pretty much the same. They're a little farther done than I prefer, but that's how the wife likes 'em.

My next subject will likely be an 18 pound turkey I am currently thawing and will then brine. The first one was with lump - this next one will be with briquettes, as with the ribs.

Name:	Ribs_1_2019_11_25.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	773257

Name:	Ribs_2_2019_11_25.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	773258

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking ribs! There's nothing wrong with 260°, especially for ribs. I routinely cook at 265°-290° for ribs.

Awesome!!!!

Comment

Congratulations!! The HastyBake looks awesome!

Comment

Congratulations on your big win!!

Comment

OK, did an 18.5 pounder for Turkey Day, this time using the briquettes. This was a big bird and real fun to spatchcock, but I got it done and then brined for about 20 hours. Used a brining bucket set in a cooler, as I had no bags big enough to fit the bird. Once ready, I got it out and dried it up before oiling and using the famous Simon and Garfunkel rub (my wife's favorite poultry rub) to prep for the grilling.

To grill, I used hardwood briquettes and got the grill up to about 400, then loaded the bird. Once in the grill, I lowered the temp, which I then kept at about 300 or so for around 4.5 hours. Once the probe hit 157, I pulled the bird out and tented on the counter for about half an hour. I did use a small amount of pecan for smoking, which worked out fine...

The results? Oh, yeah. The breast came out tender and juicy, while the dark meat (my favorite...) was really good - juicy, flavorful, and just the right amount of smoke. It's taking a while to get used to this new piece of hardware, but I am liking the results more and more as I get used to it.

Below is the journey of the bird, from prep to table. First, straight from the brine, then after the rub. Next, fresh on the grill and then to the finished product after resting for half an hour. Lastly, some leg and thigh before carving along with half the breast sliced and ready:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turkey_A_2019_11_28.jpg Views:	47 Size:	559.9 KB ID:	774309

Comment

congratulations!!! time to get the meat on the grill.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fine Job, an many Thanks fer sharin!
                          Fer most things, I roll merrily along at bout 275°~ish...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here