Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Rack of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Rack of Lamb

My wife and I love lamb and the two sources (grocery store and Costco) have racks of lamb but lately they have been somewhat bland and the chop sizes tiny. The last one I got was decent but so full of fat that the yield was 50% at best. We actually prefer a more "gamey" taste to our lamb as well. They seem to be breeding that out of the domesticated animals.

At any rate, I did check with Marx Foods, who normally has good offerings, but for some reason they only want to sell them in large quantities. Anyone have any good sources, either here in Texas or elsewhere? We're wanting to do a rack for our Christmas dinner. Thanks for suggestions !!

Try Wild Fork Foods: https://wildforkfoods.com/collections/lamb-1

They have 8 bone grassfed racks which might have the stronger flavor you are looking for. I bought three regular grain finished racks last month when they were $17.99. They are up to $21.72 which is still a lot cheaper than the 4 bone rack I got at HEB last year. The taste was, to me, similar to a beef ribeye.

They also have something I've never seen before: a rack of venison ($75.00).
    Last edited by 58limited; November 14, 2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David, are the chops good size?

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman The one I just cooked was small - the whole 8 bone rack weighed 1.5 lbs and after trimming the chops were probably a little bigger than a half dollar.

HEB has them in new braunsfelds, so does grandzens meat market. You might want to try a rack of mutton. The older the critter, the gamer (I call it barnyard) it taste. I'm like you, I want my lamb to taste like lamb, not veal. Also try some venison in lamb recipes for a twist. I have whitetail and red stag both I'm my game freezer.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      HEB has them here but the chops end up about as big as 50 cent pieces with fat attached. Sick of all the waste. I may try a meat market here in Katy.

Grow your own in the backyard and you won't have to mow as often.

Comment

Troutman Marx Food's intended target is restaurants. When I recently purchased frozen duck legs, it came as 8 5lb packages. Math comes out to 40 lbs. https://www.marxfoods.com/pekin-duck...efined=T&ext=F Sucks up a lot of freezer space.
      But, I'm still pleased with the Costco New Zealand lamb. (I probably should seek out local (WA or OR) lamb, both to support local ranchers, as well as decrease carbon costs of shipping halfway around the world.)

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t like Costco lamb, my wife agrees. Just don’t like the flavor. I buy Iberico pork from Marx but I’m not going to buy 20# of lamb, it would take me 10 years to eat that much 👎 Thanks for the tips regardless.

Have been very happy with leg and shoulder from Dartagnan, though I don't think I've ever tried their rack: https://www.dartagnan.com/buy/lamb/

Comment

We have some decent butchers that I order from. Do you have any by you? Alternatively I’ve just gone into a middle eastern grocery and they always have lamb…but that might not exist by you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here