Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creekstone Farms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creekstone Farms

I saw a link to Creekstone Farms on Franklin's web page. Not sure if he buys from them though. Has anyone bought any of their meat ? Reason I'm not sure if he buys meat from them is because on his PBS show (sponserd by Lone Star Beer & Chevy trucks) Franklin drinks some other kind of beer & he drove a Ford pickup to pick up a tank for one of his projects. Creekside Farms is located in Arkansas City, KS.

I know he has said he serves Choice, and I remember reading this recently:
    For example, a couple of years ago we got our brisket from Creekstone. They had a fire about a year and a half ago and their plant shut down, which was a problem. I’ve found myself on the side of the road in the middle of winter trying to get meat because there’s a blizzard in Kansas or something.
    And he mentions Kansas specifically here, which is where the best BBQ comes from so makes sense.

Comment

• barney
      barney commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey _John_, thanks for those links. Those are the kind of reads I love. I'm a new kid on this block and would love to read more of this kind of info. I'm sure there is alot of other Q pitmasters to follow. This is why I joined the party here.
      Last edited by barney; June 26, 2015, 02:28 PM.

Not only is Aaron Franklin good with briskets he also has a good taste in trucks. 😊

Comment

I have purchased their meat. Compared to what I pay here in Chicago, it's actually comparable, if not cheaper. I have purchased 3 packer briskets from them and they are excellent. I am going to continue purchasing from them. There is quite a bit more fat on them than the normal packer briskets I get at the local butcher here.

Comment

I ordered a packer from them for a competition earlier this year and it was great. They even had a coupon code in the KCBS Bullsheet for free shipping so it made it that much better.

But the brisket was very well packaged and shipped. As a side note, I mentioned Creekstone to a friend of mine who runs a very high profile kitchen in Charleston, SC and he loves their meat when he has used them.

I'll be using them again.

Comment

My father and I work with them (we sell chemicals to their rendering department) and they are great people to work with. Their meat is awesome and they use humane practices from farm to slaughter. (as humane as that can be) I realize I may be bias, but their meat is awesome. And it's a good piece of mind knowing that they take care for the animals before....well...you know.

Comment

I drool over their online stuff at quarterly intervals. Looks like I am due up.

Comment

FWIW, on Franklin, everything I've read that he has said recently is that he uses Prime (as does Louie Mueller now). And the whole brisket we bought there last month certainly looked marbled like Prime. Just want to pass that along in case anyone using Choice can't generate a 3-hour line for their product:-)

Comment

I have used Creekstone Farms, it's ok at best. I usually purchase Iowa Premium, CAB or IBP briskets. Higher quality, better marbeling and priced comparable.

Comment

5. Franklin Barbecue uses nearly every "all-natural" brisket that Creekstone can process.

Hormones, antibiotics, and growth promoters are all commonly fed to conventionally-raised beef as they are fattened in feedlots. If you’re eating barbecue in Texas, chances are that’s what you’re consuming. Boxes of IBP (short for Iowa Beef Processors, but now owned by Tyson) briskets are ubiquitous, but a few barbecue joints prefer a different route. Franklin Barbecue is one of them. They purchase briskets from Creekstone Farms in southern Kansas that are free of hormones, antibiotics and growth promoting drugs (referred to as "all-natural" from here on out). This is an ethical choice according to Aaron Franklin who pays a nice premium for that beef. The final product is also pretty good (hello, best in Texas the world), so why don’t more pitmasters make that same choice?

Source: https://tmbbq.com/what-i-learned-at-brisket-camp/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here