Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms flap meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms flap meat

My grocery store has occasionally had SRF flap meat. They label it "flap meat for carne asada" and usually have it in small packages. Today they had a bunch of 5# cryo packs for $5.99/#. That’s a really good price for any cut of SRF wagyu in my opinion. My understanding is flap meat refers to sirloin flap, AKA bavette. Does anyone know if I’m correct? I checked online and SRF sells bavettes for $55 for 1.5#. I don’t see why it would be so much more expensive online. I love sirloin flap meat, it’s really similar to skirt steak. I’m really excited to find such great steak for such a great price, I’m just a little skeptical on why it’s so cheap. Any thoughts? Maybe I should go back and buy a bunch more packs!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5ADAE0AE-555C-46D8-8977-FAA005414A2C.jpeg
Views:	501
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	784222

I would buy all they have at that price. I have seen some of their Wagyu tri tips here for $10 and ground beef for $5 but never flap.

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      They had about 10 packs...that might be a bit too much 🤣. I probably should go back in the morning and buy a few more packs though, that store is only a few minutes from my house. I can wet age them a few weeks, then break them down to meal size portions, vac seal and deep freeze.

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Which grocery store? Might be worth a stop next time I am on the West side.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      JoeSousa Haggen in Bellingham. This is the first time I’ve seen cryo packs of it though. They only occasionally have small packs of it. I figure they only had them for the holidays. Last year they had SRF black grade packer briskets. They cut up the ones no one bought into smaller pieces. Last year I picked up a separated and trimmed SRF wagyu point for less per pound than the untrimmed packers were selling for.

That is a very nice find. I can get flap meat, but not that quality and certainly not for that price. I like to use if for carne asada, but also will cut it into steaks and grill with minimal seasonings.

Comment

I have a bavette in the freezer, I can’t rememebr if it’s from Crowd Cow of Porter Road, but am excited to use it when I do. I have never had that specific cut but really like the other cuts that resemble it.

I would imagine ill make a board sauce of some of some sort for it when I do. Are you headed back to buy more??

Comment

Well...I didn’t get around to going back to the grocery store until today. They still had a few left so I couldn’t resist buying another one. I think ten pounds of flap meat should be enough for a while!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here