Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms vs Porter Road - Burger Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms vs Porter Road - Burger Battle

I was digging through the freezer and found some packs of ground beef from Snake River Farms and Porter Road so I decided to do a burger battle between the two. I made 1/3rd pound patties and grilled them up on my Weber 26 with some Fogo Premium charcoal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	burger-patties.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	712595

The Porter Road beef (on the left) was a bit coarser grind and seemed to have more fat than the SRF American Wagyu beef (on the right). You could tell the fat was different in the two as you could almost feel the SRF fat melting as the patties were being formed.

Name:	burgers-on-the-grill.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	712596

The 4 small burgers in the back were for the kids but the 6 in front were for the adults. Porter Road on the left, SRF on the right. More fat dripped off the Porter Road burgers and there were a few more flare ups on that side but nothing too ridiculous.

Name:	Cheeseburgers.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	712597

I kept the toppings pretty simple. Just some Kraft singles, mayo on both sides of the bun, some Clausens pickles, homemade bacon, and a bit of ketchup and mustard. Both were delicious. The SRF burger had a more "silky" texture and tasted more like a high class burger. The Porter Road one was beefier and had a looser texture. If I went to a roadside diner I would expect something more like the Porter Road burger. If I ordered a burger at a steakhouse I would expect to get one more like the SRF burger. I think the Porter Road burger is more suited to simple toppings (pickle, lettuce, tomato) but if you wanted to start adding avocado, blue cheese, sauteed mushrooms, or stuff like that I would probably pick the SRF burger.

Porter Road: $9 per pound. SRF: $14 per pound (but I can get it for $5.99 a pound at the local grocery store). I would probably lean 51/49 to Porter Road but there is nothing at all wrong with the SRF burger.

Anyone else have experience with ground beef from either place?

No I've yet to venture online for ground beef. I have ground beef from a back home local slaughter house. It's from all the trimmings from a fat calf dad recently slaughtered. Their plate holes must be microscopic cause they produce the tiniest ground particles that form by hand so easy. I wish I could duplicate. I cooked three patties up today on the gasser.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm still trying to decide if I like a coarser grind or finer grind. The coarser grind has a better mouth feel but if it is too coarse the burgers fall apart on the grill. But like you said the finer grind is much easier to form in to patties. 

Guess I need to cook more burgers and do more research

I will take the Porter Road over the SNF any day. I have a big nasty disagreement with SRF. They call there pork Kurobuta instead of Berkshire when it has never seen Japan. They call there beef American Waygu . What is that. 1/2 Waygu, 1/4 Waygu, 1/8 Waygu. I would stick with prime the top 2% of all graded cattle in the US than buying from SNF. If you want Waygu buy 100% from the farms that are providing it.

There Kurobuta is worse than what I can buy here in NC. Look for your local butchers and suppliers for Berkshire hogs. SNF is a rip off over priced and I will never buy from them.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 13, 2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      THEIR, dammit, not THERE!

JoeSousa - I lean toward a courser grind because of the mouth feel. I think the falling apart problem is more a problem on leaner burgers. I tend to stay with 80/20 and they stay together pretty well.

Comment

Willy it is THIER NOT THEIR IF YOU WANT TO SHOUT AT ME.

Comment

There, their, they're, everyone calm down.

Comment

I’ve had both types and agree they both have their merits. Always got them free with larger orders, never knowingly bought any (but paid for no doubt). I just like knowing what exactly is in my mix and still prefer to do my own.

Having said that good work and side by side comparison!! Helps us understand the subtle differences in grind and blend types from the premium purveyors.

Comment

IMO SRF burgers are like their hot dogs, nothing special. My local supermarket (Wegman’s) offers a chuck/brisket blend that is awesome: great flavor, ground in-store, fresh never frozen, sized to need. And I’m pretty sure that 80% or more of the country has a butcher that can offer the same, or similar, for less than SRF.

In general I’m moving away from SRF. Stuff is just getting too expensive, local alternatives are becoming more available. The value equation isn’t what it used to be.

Comment

May I please suggest that you retry this experiment with a griddle?

I have extensive experience with SRF and have found their products to be exceptional. Every single one that I have used. Easily in the 1000’s of pounds.

I agree with the "Silky" texture comment. In our setting we need a more firm texture to standing up to our grilling (not a flat top) procedures. We currently use a local brand that’s "sturdier" but NOT because of quality issues.

Although your methods of testing are non scientific, your sides are first rate and I found your conclusions spot on!!!!

From SRF I have used short ribs, Zabuton, ribeye, NY, whole sections, skirt, ribs, brisket, burgers, sliders, whole tenderloins etc....

I personally, simply see no need to bash the others companies I don’t use. Everything has a definition. It’s the world in which we live. We simply navigate it the best we can and with our wallet.

I use Exxon gas but don’t think there’s a tiger in my tank.

Thank you for your post and comparison.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I find it interesting to hear the learner murmurs of a burner of burgers

Seriously though, listen to Homes, he is the Battle Tested Beast of Burgers !! You only need to look at his avatar to know why

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I will definitely do a griddle test at some point. The results could come out totally different.

I have also tried most of what SRF carries at some point over the past few years and have loved all but 1 piece of meat from them. I assume you aren't referring to me as bashing other companies??? This test wasn't meant to bash anyone. Both burgers were excellent and better than nearly every other burger I have had. Much better than store bought.

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
          I have a big nasty disagreement with SRF. They call there pork Kurobuta instead of Berkshire when it has never seen Japan. There Kurobuta is worse than what I can buy here in NC. SNF is a rip off over priced and I will never buy from them.
          OK let's fact check. First I want to say I don't buy a lot from SRF they are expensive and I too have alternatives. BUT a Kurobuta pig is a Berkshire breed of pig that was raised in Japan. It's considered the Kobe beef of pork. If SRF claims they sell Kurobuta pig products then unless you have evidence otherwise, then I can't understand your assertion. If you have never bought from them what is your basis for argument, have you tried their pork?

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
          They call there beef American Waygu . What is that. 1/2 Waygu, 1/4 Waygu, 1/8 Waygu. I would stick with prime the top 2% of all graded cattle in the US than buying from SNF. If you want Waygu buy 100% from the farms that are providing it.
          Why do you not believe there is such a breed as American Waygu? Again, for the umpteenth time, breeders have imported Japanese Waygu bulls into this country and cross bred them with American cattle like Angus, thus have created American Waygu. Very little actual Japanese Waygu such as Kobe comes to this country. Probably 98% of what is sold here in the States is American Waygu. It's graded on the A grading system similar to the quality grading in Japan. Why? The reason is simple, the Japanese could in no way provide enough product to the American consumer to meet the demand.

We try to be factual here so folks who are looking to buy and cook products from purveyors like SRF can make informed decisions. Please, if you want to rant against such companies, be factual so others are not misled.

Comment

I just don't trust SRF Troutman , if you can call an American raised Berkshire hog by its Japanese name that is pure unamerican to me. Even worse it is a native of the UK. The company out farms most of the meat they sell. So who really knows what goes into it. Did there hogs come from Japan originally. I don't believe so. So they raise them the Japanese way, big deal. They are still Berkshires and still taste like Berkshires.

Yes I tried it several times, nothing special from the Berkshire I get locally maybe a little worse as mine is small farm grown.

As I stated their Waygu is only part Waygu thus the term they use American Waygu. I then stated that there were purveyors selling pure Waygu and that they should go there. You can read their literature and learn about this from it. Why buy an inferior product. I agree there are others selling Waygu-Angus blends. I have one near me and buy a quarter as needed. Mighty fine eating. At $9 a pound it tastes even better than SRF at over $20. I mean come on $74 for a 10oz ribeye.

I am not putting out bad info, just what I have read about them on their site and what I have tasted of their meat. I don't give an opinion without a sound basis.

Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 14, 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t want Wagyu. It is extremely rich and very, very expensive. American Wagyu, on the other hand, combines the best of both breeds. It has that iron-y taste that a great steak gives, it has great mouthfeel, and it is more marbled than USDA prime.

You can make the point that the value equation doesn’t work for you (I make that point myself). But you can’t make the point that the product is mislabeled, or that it isn’t what it claims to be. It is exactly what it claims to be.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman just watched MM get his ass kicked in a BBQ competition last night, He came it 45 of 100 in brisket. Yes I have tried SRF's beef you always have to try something before you can have an opinion. I have a llot of respect for MM and have seen him in person. But he occasionally does fail. Did you know he does have 3 World BBQ Championships to 2 for anyone else.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 14, 2019, 12:31 PM.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca I was trying to make the point that their American Waygu from SRF was overpriced and not worth the price. That people could go to all Waygu sites and get better meat. Or go to another site for a lesser price. Or go to a local purveyor. I mean $74 for a 10oz. ribeye. I can buy 8 of them from locally. SRF is over priced and the quality is no better than you can obtain locally.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 14, 2019, 12:32 PM.

I love that top pic of the patties. There is a visible difference that I seem to see: coarser are the two on left and top middle, finer bottom middle and tow on right. Wagyu does feel different as the fat is soft straight outta the fridge, not waxy or hard.

I have eaten Wagyu purchased locally from a small market that does "deals" with his distributor. The first time I had what I was told was Wagyu, I had purchased NY strips, for a whole $7.99/lb! The flavor was like NOTHING I had ever had before and was so good I could not believe it. The stuff has a flavor, buttery-like, umami-rich, absolutely delicious. The fat melts in your mouth, looks almost translucent when cold, and stays soft when cold; it looks different and for sure tastes different.

My sister had some of the same batch of steaks and both she and her son were equally impressed. We sent my brother over to get some and he says they were fantastic too.

Keep in mind that this was not A5 marbling on these steaks, but is was equal to and most likely better than USDA Prime. It was bee-uu-tiful. I went on a beef binge after that. Got some Wagyu culottes -yes had that flavor. Got a Wagyu tri-tip, had that flavor.

Since then the Wagyu from this store has been good, but rather hit-or-miss. I think that is the meat I purchase is coming from crossbred cattle from the US. A crossbreed is a crossbreed, and unless the genetic basis for the Wagyu flavor is passed on to offspring, well, no Wagyu flavor. I am pretty sure I am NOT buying beef from Pureblood Wagyu (cattle that trace parentage back on both sides directly to cattle in Japan). All this beef is good, but some has been fantastic. The fantastic stuff is what all beef I have at restaurants are compared to!

In any case, I have been able to buy really good beef at prices much lower than local groceries, some of it is fantastic beef at super low prices.

If you really get real Wagyu with that flavor you will know it. Watch out, it might be a life ruining event. How so the ruin? It's so good that, well, grocery store beef just cannot compare--there is your fair warning!! :-)

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Like Alabama white sauce. Life changing. Wow, great pricing!!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              All good points. Most likely you were purchasing American Wagyu breed of some sort. As you say they grade them with the A grading system, which means there are quality differences and thus reflected in the pricing.

• Foehn Watts
              Foehn Watts commented
              Editing a comment
              About Wagyu marbling: No way would/ this store sell the A5 any time (even if they could get it). The head of the Meat Department told me that people had complained about those dreamy Strips--too fatty, too much fat. This is about meat that was marbled as well/better than prime.

Some people just don't get it, I guess. Oh, well, their refusal is my gain.

I have no beef with the term American Wagyu. BUT I draw the line at the term American Kobe. That's just trickery and deception aimed at the gullible.

Pssst, hey Mack, can I interest you in some of this Oscar Mayer Prosciutto de Parma?

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s rumored that Oscar Meyer did in fact open a plant in Parma, but it’s just a rumor

Originally posted by Bkhuna View Post
            I have no beef with the term American Wagyu....
            Oh boy. Another joker.

Comment

No point in arguing fellas. We all have opinions whether it's on Internet meat purveyors, cooking methods or smoker types, and just because we have opinions and preferences doesn't make us right and the 'other guy' wrong. Live and let live and let's move on from any dust-ups please.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said and agree!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here