Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Pleased - Porter Road - First Blush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Pleased - Porter Road - First Blush

Several posts got me interested in Porter Road meats, that and allsid ‘s discount post, so I’m giving them a try. Thru customer chat I asked what breed of pig they sold. Was told Berkshire/Duroc mix. Sounded good so I ordered two 8# pork butts, they threw in some free ground beef.

Price was ok but the discount (15%) made it a little more reasonable. What really surprised me was the shipping, only $10!! They asked if I wanted it by the 4th of July (it was the 1st) for $20, I said sure.

Well I’m home alone, family in Vegas (don’t ask whole different story) so I didn’t want it sitting in the 90* heat all day until I got home the afternoon of the 3rd.

Kind of forgot, then got a message it was delivered to my front door, crap ran home to retrieve it.

Kudos to to these guys, when I opened this huge box, it was lined with called foam. They had a card saying the cardboard box was recycled material and the foam could be burned as fuel or dissolved in your sink. Plus one.

Open the top and the entire top is completely covered with frozen gel packs still rock hard. Plus two.

Moved those away along with a bunch of paper, there are the butts fully frozen. Plus three.

Removed the butts and another full layer of frozen gel packs, rock hard. Plus four.

THIS is exactly why I stopped buying meat on line. They scrimp and they cut corners hoping things will get handled properly and a lot of times they don’t. Again kudos to these guys, they get it. If their meat is half as good as their packaging, I’m a customer for life !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6148BE24-51C6-498A-BCD9-2208B4FB941C.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	706900Click image for larger version

Name:	29322580-9EEC-4ECB-9ECD-CC3A18E5D2E7.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	706901Click image for larger version

Name:	7F43B2F1-AE91-40CF-B0CC-85D87C8EFF7F.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	706897

Attached Files

The butts are good. I did one a few months back and it turned out great. After rubbing, smoking, and a bit of vinegar sauce there isn't a huge difference between those and regular butts but you can taste a difference.

Comment

Cool, good review. I found similar great packaging plus the reusable ice packs with Creekstone.

Comment

Great post,,,all the right info ,,,,so far,,,,,,waitin ‘ on the cook

Comment

I’m getting jaded in my old age. Commodity meat just isn’t cutting it on a regular basis for me and my family. Cost is an issue, but helping smaller producers with less impact on the environment is a plus for me as well. The meat looks dark like Duroc and nicely marbled, I’m sure it’s gonna be good.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been feeling this more and more as well, especially for steaks. The flavor difference between quality meat and commodity meat is huge for those types of cuts. It definitely costs more but it is worth sometimes.

Thanks Troutman for the review. I am waiting to pull the trigger. Getting closer as freezer is gaining room. I'm only allocated 1 shelf in basement and one in kitchen. She rules with an iron fist.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ¡¡¡Blücher!!!

<Whinnying Horses>

lol

Looking good. We find all sorts of uses for those ice packs.

Comment

Good to know. Been lurking on their site. Need more room in the Freezer first. Anxiously waiting for the cook review

Comment

Don’t forget to rest it for three minutes.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang near made me schorrrttt perfeckly good lil sippy of Guinness outta me nostrils, there, Holmes!

Fine Job, That, Brother...

I don't find many people to be very entertainin, nowadays...

I have purchased from them 3 times. Nothing but pleased so far. And the meat is great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here