Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kansas City Steak Company? Anyone have Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas City Steak Company? Anyone have Opinion?

I received a mailing from them about 50 pages. Not familiar with them. Of course in the mailing meat looks great. Looked at some reviews, mixed. I'm not sure about pricing. A couple of examples.

Prime Rib Roast - 4.5 to 5 lbs. $99.95. USDA Prime
    Prime Trio - 4 12 oz Prime Ribeyes, 4 16 oz. Prime K.C. Strips, 4 12 oz. Prime Top Sirloin - $349.85 USDA prime
    T-Bone - 4 16 oz. $114.95 - Do not specify USDA ????

Any input appreciated.

I've had their steaks and burgers and they were good.

Comment

Please stay away from any of the online meat purveyors that don't tell you what grade beef they are selling...

Also stay away from the companies that tell you they are selling you $1000 worth of meat for $29.

Comment

We use to get KCS Co products as a gift. Quality was ok to quite good. I would not buy from them as we can get equal or nearly equal quality from our local stores for considerably less $.

Comment

I did not have great luck with these. I think I was better off just going to the store to buy. They seemed like very lean steaks. It was similar to what I got from Omaha Steaks.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep.

Just got their catalog today. Thumbed through it for about 30 seconds before it went to the recycling bin. I'm pretty sold on SRF for any online sales. I can't get American Wagyu any where around here. But the stuff in these other catalogs i can get better stuff through my local food service company. Same with all the sides these places sell.

Comment

Internet meat retailers know you eat what they send you, you don't get the luxury of picking what looks best to you like at the store. I've even learned that with the very reputable places like SRF. I don't buy that kinda stuff online any more (whole muscle meats), I have only been happy once out of maybe 6 or 8 tries. My experiences are likely not typical, but they're my experiences nonetheless.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point.

When I didn't know any better (a few decades ago), I thought Omaha Steaks was the bomb. KC Steak Co. looks like a copy of OS. I'd recommend steering away from both of 'em. As RonB noted, the "screaming deals" offered are one clue, as is the lack of the grade of meat. And, the "screaming deals" are always offered. The list prices are just a marketing gimmick.

Comment

I’m not familiar with Kansas City, but we used to order a lot from Omaha Steaks. None of it is outright bad, not even Omaha. But they do not usually represent good value. Any local butcher can get you better meat for a lower price. But those catalogs are strong persuaders.

The hot dogs we used to get from Omaha Steaks were genuinely excellent, almost as good as the Alpine ones I rave about here. We used to order just those.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll stay away from them. I have used OS in the past.Only if a good deal and free shipping. The only steak I would purchase is filet mignon. My wife just placed an order without my knowledge. It looks like a good deal. I've never had an issue with the products arrival. always frozen with dry ice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here