Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowd Cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowd Cow?

Has anyone ever purchased any beef from CrowdCow.com ? Were you happy with the purchase was the flavor of the beef any good the reason I'm asking is I don't want to pull the trigger on something I will regret spending this much money on. I'm looking at a tri-tip with a chuck roast and some hamburger meat.

I just received my second shipment. The first was 4 strips, two chuck steaks and ground beef from upstate New York. Very tasty, but because they are grass fed, you have to be more careful when grilling. Received 1lb rib eyes and more ground beef this past Thursday from VA. Very satisfied.

Comment

• mikshea
      mikshea commented
      Editing a comment
      Follow Up. Arrived home last night and took the newly received 1 lb bone in rib eye out of the freezer. The website recommends cooking steaks without defrosting. Fired up my Webber gasser w/grill grates, coated the steak with evoo, Montreal seasoning and proprietary cajun rub. Took 14 minutes to get to medium rare because it was frozen...used a thermoprobe to check doneness. Restaurant quality!

I can only speculate. It looks interesting, but seems a bit pricey. We used to get sides of grass-fed, and it can be great. Seems like a low-cost way to try it out, and you know that most of their farmers are going to be treating their cattle well.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a local butcher that sells grass fed, corn finished, free range beef. Expensive compared to feedlot beef, but soooooo good.

I've done two orders now. The beef is good quality. I had a short plate --4 ribs-- it was delicious. I've got two small briskets that I plan on making Pastrami with soon. I also got some ground burger that I haven't tried yet.

Comment

I've done it. We had tacos the other night...and I made shredded beef with one of their chuck roasts. I didn't tell my family that it was from CrowdCow...not a word. Every single one of my family members made a positive comment about how good the beef was... and that is not something they normally do with taco meat..lol.

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered my beef, got myself a tri-tip, chuck steak and some hamburger meat. This is my first time ordering online premium beef, this particular cut of meat come from Bedient Farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie Rhoden View Post
          Well I pulled the trigger and ordered my beef, got myself a tri-tip, chuck steak and some hamburger meat. This is my first time ordering online premium beef, this particular cut of meat come from Bedient Farms.
          Please update after you've had a chance to try it... super curious to hear your thoughts

Comment

• Jimmie Rhoden
            Jimmie Rhoden commented
            Editing a comment
            Supposed to be here by FedEx Thursday, I will definitely know over the weekend.

So, i have purchased from them as a test. I was completely happy with the quality but not so much on the price. Between local butcher and costco I really cant tell the difference. Dont get me wrong the beef was great, if the cost was much more reasonable i would purchase more often.

Comment

So here's something to try. If you're anywhere near a high quality cattle farmer, find a couple of friends to split a side with you, then talk to the farmer. The farmer will arrange for the animal to be portioned, usually according to your specs. You may want to educate yourself about the options. This book is great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Thanks Jimmie Rhoden I had not heard of this. Looks very interesting please let us know how it turned out! I'd like to try some but we dont really ever eat Hamburger and they always want to send 2#'s of it??? I did find the A la carte section! definitely will be watching closely! enjoy your purchase!

Comment

Crowd cow beef on the tri-tip the hamburger meat and the roast all tasted great, restaurant quality beef, it is not something I would do regularly but it is something that I would purchase again.

Comment

I forgot to add crowd count did send me an email letting me know that Mondays are usually the days they have the best sales. As for customer service it is outstanding I was surprised when they sent me an email letting me know when it shipped and had a conversation in email with me back and forth was very surprised that how much they really do care for their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by mikshea View Post
                    Very tasty, but because they are grass fed, you have to be more careful when grilling.
                    Could you explain why and in what way?
                    Thanks

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Leaner, lower target temps.

So, if I normally go for 135F for med-rare traditional store bought I would maybe do 130F on a grass fed beef?

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a reasonable approach IMO.

• Kevin_nj
                      Kevin_nj commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!

They do have some grain-finished cows. They only offer one or two options a week with the offering starting on Monday. It’s worth reading a little about the farm they are offering at the time to determine if it is all grass or if grain-finished.

Either way, they do have good customer service and the beef has good flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here