Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF Baby Back Ribs size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF Baby Back Ribs size

I made my first Snake River Farms purchase:
    • a black brisket
    • a spare ribs rack
    • baby back ribs rack
    The brisket and st louis look great, but holy cow, they weren't joking when they said the baby backs are smaller than normal. This thing appetizer size! It may turn out fantastic (will find out on Sunday), but I don't think I'll be buying that particular cut again... the spares maybe, but not the baby back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170420_172438.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	307787
    Attached Files

They maybe,as I have seen in my area what they call Australian baby backs. Much smaller with little meat but very good and tender. And yes you could probably eat a rack and a half in one sitting with sides.

Comment

Congrats on the first SRF purchase. The ribs do look great but those Baby backs do look tiny! Show us some pictures of that brisket.

Comment

Will definitely follow-up with how they turn out, glad this cook is just for the wife and I.
        The brisket is frozen solid and will have to stay that way for a few weeks, but I'll post pictures of it when it comes time to smoke it. =)

Comment

You're buying from my neck of the woods! Their address is Boise, about 20 miles away. Another division of their company is Double R Ranch. Keep buying, you're supporting our programs!!!

Name:	IMG_0587.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	307870
          Hope it is wonderful!

Comment

They cook quickly as well. I've used them for appetizers, and a midweek short smoke when it fits the bill. Depending on your setup they could take from 90 minutes up to around 3 hours. They aren't the best for a feast, but they serve a purpose for my wife and I when we want to have that "whole" slab feeling.

Comment

Probably a TRUE Baby Back.

But because of Chili's and the brain washing affects of advertising ALL back ribs, even those over 4 pounds, are comically called baby backs.

Comment

I agree with Jerod Broussard on this one. I'm very familiar with the anatomy of a pig and it looks right to me, especially in comparison with the 'normal' ribs right next to them. Either way, they'll be delicious, but as you say, a smaller snack.

Comment

They may seem like a ripoff but those actual baby backs will cook the best. Large loin backs (3.5lbs+) are tough buggers to cook right. I don't buy any over 2.75lbs any more. If a store doesn't have them small enough I buy StL.

Comment

Ah man, so those safeway select baby back ribs I've bought in the past weren't real? I feel like I've been lied to...
                    Oh well, I'm more educated now. Looking forward to seeing how these do in the KBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Spathiinc View Post
                      Ah man, so those safeway select baby back ribs I've bought in the past weren't real? I feel like I've been lied to...
                      Oh well, I'm more educated now. Looking forward to seeing how these do in the KBQ.
                      So are the rest of us KBQ-ers (and others, I'm sure)! Keep track of the times and temps, please.

Comment

Are these Berkshire? Berkshire/Kurobuta hogs are not large like most commercial pigs, being long narrow pigs, as seen below. They are tasty as all get out, but prior to the argulafication of pork, you never saw Berkshire ribs on restaurant menus or really anywhere, because they're kind of small and a bit lean. Tasty as all get out, though. But the loin and the shoulder of this style of pig is really great.

Name:	berkshire-hog.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	308063Click image for larger version

Name:	berkshire.png
Views:	141
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	308064

Comment

I made the mistake of buying SRF's Tri tip, at a small 2 lbs for $79.95 I won't be re-buying these - oh don't get me wrong, the tri tip came out awesome, but NOT $80 awesome.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My sentiments exactly! They supply great meat for a certain crowd of folks. I'm finding out I'm not in their crowd.

SoCalTim have you ever cooked a Cardiff crack tri tip?

Comment

Originally posted by BarBQ22 View Post
                            SoCalTim have you ever cooked a Cardiff crack tri tip?
                            I haven't, but i will Google it and check it out. Thank. Tim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here