Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF now selling seafood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF now selling seafood

Snake River Farms is now selling seafood.
    I've been a long time customer of SRF for beef when I want to match restaurant quality steaks- you're buying from the source. But selling seafood seems like a move that makes no sense and damages their brand. What makes a company located in the midwest think we'll buy fish from them, rather than our local markets? Instead of thinking as SRF as a source of beef raised under their strict management, this positions them as just a food reseller - unless all their fish comes from Snake River.
    Last edited by BBQPhil; February 8, 2023, 12:57 AM.

I see it as an upsell in what is becoming a highly competitive market. For me though $40 for 2 halibut filet's is more than I am willing to spend. Especially once I pay shipping.

Comment

I saw that and chuckled to myself. So they are going to buy freshly frozen fish, have it shipped to them, (hopefully still frozen), and then sell it to customers at a premium price, (?). I don't think I'll be buying any.

Comment

While there are several good places online to order from we use https://alaskagoldbrand.com/products/alaska-halibut which is a fisherman’s co-op. It is about $45 a pound but they have free shipping. One reason we decided to use them is that they have a warehouse on the East coast where they ship from and their shipments arrive safely and deeply frozen. Their salmon is really good too.

Comment

SRF has the infrastructure to store, handle, and ship fresh meat (and fish is meat). Not everyone lives near a quality fish monger. I imagine they are hedging against a likely downturn in the beef market as prices rise.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here